Books on General Relativity (highschool just completed)

In summary: Thus you can also support a good cause by buying and reading this book.In summary, the individual is a recent high school graduate with a strong interest in physics and a desire to become a researcher. They have 3-4 months before starting college and want to use this time to master the general and special theories of relativity. They are seeking book recommendations to help them understand the complex mathematics and physics involved in these theories, and have been advised to focus on special relativity first before attempting general relativity. They have been recommended "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Einstein's Theory of Relativity" by M. Born as helpful resources for self-study.
anubodh
Guys , i have just completed my high school (4 days back) and know just the basic maths and physics (only what was taught in school).I have a great interest in physics and want to become a researcher.I am free for 3-4 months (after which i will join a college for majors in physics) and in that time i want to master the general and special theory of relativity.

I have searched a hell lot on books on net and found some common books like Carroll- Spacetime and Geometry, Schutz - a first course in relativity but i found them a bit mathematical.

I want you to recommend me books for self study taking me from the basics to the advanced mathematics which would then enable me to read and understand the complex mathematical/physical books on GR and SR like that of wald's.

I know it might take time but i want to start now.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
While I congratulate you on your enthusiasm, I do think you should settle for maybe trying to master special relativity and leave GR for later.
GR is worlds away from SR in terms of complexity. You don't need much more than high school-level maths to get your head around SR, while GR is taught on the graduate level - and not without a reason.

To get up to speed with maths required for most introductory and quite a lot of advanced university-level physics books, on relativity or otherwise, grab Mary L. Boas' 'Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences'. It gives you all the tools and tells you how to use them, but skips over where they come from, so to speak.

There is one brillant book which is precisely written for someone in your situation:

M. Born, Einstein's Theory of Relativity

It does not spare the math but uses only high-school math (or at least what was standard in the 1920ies when the book was written). The history behind this book is also quite remarkable: At the time, Born was physics professor at the University of Frankfurt (which was founded in 1914 and thus a very young university). At this time there was a hyperinflation, invalidating the money such that the physics institute had big problems to keep up work there. Thus Born donated the royalties of this first popular book on the Theory of Relativity (not only the general but also the special theory, which you necessarily have to understand anyway before you can move on with the general theory) to keep the institute running.

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how massive objects interact with each other and how space-time is affected by their presence. It is considered one of the pillars of modern physics and has been extensively tested and proven to be accurate.

2. Can high school students understand General Relativity?

Yes, high school students can understand the basics of General Relativity. While it is a complex theory, there are resources available that can help students grasp the fundamental concepts. It is important to have a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus, to fully comprehend the theory.

3. What are some good books on General Relativity for high school students?

Some good books on General Relativity for high school students include "A Student's Guide to Einstein's Major Papers" by Robert Schulmann and "Einstein's Theory of Relativity" by Max Born. These books explain the theory in a clear and accessible manner, making it easier for high school students to understand.

4. Why is it important to learn about General Relativity in high school?

Learning about General Relativity in high school can provide a strong foundation for further studies in physics and other related fields. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, understanding the theory of General Relativity can help students understand the universe and its workings on a deeper level.

5. Are there any real-world applications of General Relativity?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of General Relativity. It has been used to accurately predict the orbit of Mercury, guide the development of the GPS system, and even help astronomers understand the behavior of black holes. General Relativity also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as satellite communication and navigation.