Best Books on Set Theory: Axioms & Theory

In summary, there are several good books on set theory including "Introduction to Set Theory" by Hrbacek and Jech, "Set Theory: An Introduction of Independence Proofs" by Kunen, "Set Theory and Logic" by Stoll, "Axiomatic Set Theory" by Suppes, and "Elements of Set Theory" by Enderton. It is recommended to have a good understanding of ZFC axioms before delving into these books, and reading multiple sources can provide a well-rounded understanding of set theory.
Vincent Mazzo
What are the best books on Set Theory?? I mean a book with all axioms and theory and dispenses other books.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Introduction to set theory" by Hrbacek and Jech is the best introduction
"Set theory" by Jech is my favorite, but it's only good if you already know a bit set theory.
"Set theory: an introduction of independence proofs" by Kunen is also good, but it's quite difficult...

I just purchased Stoll's Set Theory and Logic. I've started to go through it a bit, and am liking it so far. It seems like it would be great for a complete beginner, however I have experience in both set theory and logic.

What is an initial segment?

Besides Stoll, a real classic is Patrick Suppes, Axiomatic Set Theory. Also, try Schaum's Outline Series on Set Theory.

I have Patrick Suppes, Axiomatic Set Theory, but :-
1) There is no proof for Zorn's lemma. They say , this is just a simple exercise to be done by the students (that is plain stupid, if I know how to prove Zorn's lemma, why should I buy the textbook? simple logic)
2) The book did not even define initial segment properly.

I also have the Schaum series book on Set Theory by Seymour Lipschutz. .
This is better. They define initial segment properly. Also, they have an almost complete proof of Zorn's lemma from the Well-Ordering Theorem, which they also proved from the Axiom of Choice, even though the proofs are a bit long and indirect.

Quantum123, you are aware, I am sure, that the Axiom of Choice has been found by Paul J. Cohen in 1966 to be independent of Z-F set theory. Also, I see out there claims that Zorn's Lemma is equivalent to the Axiom of Choice, as for example: http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/math161/project.pdf .Now, if you can find a proof from Z-F set theory, itself ... .

In addition, perhaps the following might help:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...hortProofs/Zorn.pdf&embedded=true&chrome=true

and: http://www.uwec.edu/andersrn/SETSV.pdf

and: http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown/6310/zorn.pdf

As to "initial segment" in Suppes, I see reference to "R-Segment" on page 77. I haven't used Suppes for 35 years, so to save my doing an intensive search, is this page the one to which you refer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just caught this:

Quantum123 asks in this forum Old Dec25-10, 04:37 PM , "What is an initial segment? " and then says Unread T, 06:16 AM referring to to my post and Suppes, "The book did not even define initial segment properly." If quantum123 does not know what an "initial segment" is, how can s/he know whether Suppes (or anyone else, for that matter) is defining it correctly? Am I missing something here?

I meant that I did not understand Patrick Suppes' definition but understood Seymour Lipschutz's definition, which I have not read at the time of posting Dec25-10, 04:37 PM .

It is interesting that nobody mentions Enderton here. I would love to know your opinion on Enderton's book titled Elements of Set Theory. UCB seems to use it as a text for their Set Theory course.

It is indeed a good book. Zorn's Lemma is proven in less than a page using ordinals and Hartog's theorem and Well-Ordering theorem at pg 198.
Thanks for the reminder. It is a good book for learning set theory.
But I think Goldrei's book is the best. Classic Set Theory.

@StatOnTheSide:
Thanks to your recommendation, I have been reading Enderton's book on set theory. This book is the purest ZFC book I ever seen. Thanks.

micromass said:
"Set theory" by Jech is my favorite, but it's only good if you already know a bit set theory.

How much would you consider adequate? I am familiar with sets from Apostol, Principles of Mathematics, and a couple of proof-intro books.

dustbin said:
How much would you consider adequate? I am familiar with sets from Apostol, Principles of Mathematics, and a couple of proof-intro books.

That's not enough. You need to be familiar with ZFC axioms already and with the basic results. Try going through a book such as Hrbacek & Jech first.

There is always the old conundrum of whether logic "came before" mathematics of vice versa. I know I express my prejudice in asserting the first and surely agree with the micromass that one has to be knowledgeable w/ ZFC axioms before attacking math.

As to the "best" work on set theory? Surely one should read Z-F in the original, as well as Von Neuman, Cantor, and the other "prime sources" for set theories, but, ultimately is a knowledge of all of them that is the best, as each will have a different slant and aspect that only can rich the overall knowledge of set theory, itself. I also would throw into the pile "Logic for mathematicians" by J.B. Rosser. Discrete, I think, makes an accurate observation that Stoll is a good approach for a beginner. Also, the Schaum's Outline gives an excellent "repair manual" approach, with step-by-step worked exercises after an overview of theory.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of studying set theory?

Set theory is the foundation of mathematics and provides a framework for understanding the relationships between different mathematical objects. It also has applications in other fields such as computer science and philosophy.

2. What are the axioms of set theory?

The axioms of set theory are the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of sets. They include the axiom of extension, which states that two sets are equal if and only if they have the same elements, and the axiom of regularity, which ensures that sets do not contain themselves as elements.

3. What is the Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory?

The Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory, also known as ZF set theory, is a commonly used system of axioms for set theory. It includes the axioms of extension, regularity, and several others that provide a basis for building the rest of mathematics.

4. What is the difference between ZF set theory and ZFC set theory?

The difference between ZF set theory and ZFC set theory is that ZFC includes an additional axiom, the axiom of choice, which states that for any collection of non-empty sets, there exists a set containing exactly one element from each set in the collection. This axiom has important implications in certain areas of mathematics.

5. How can studying set theory improve my understanding of other branches of mathematics?

Set theory provides a framework for understanding the relationships between different mathematical objects, which can help in understanding and proving theorems in other branches of mathematics. It also introduces concepts such as cardinality and ordinals that have applications in other areas of math, such as topology and algebra.