1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on string theory

1. Dec 25, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I was thinking of eventually studying some string theory and I came across Barton Zwiebach's book on the subject. Would this be a good place to start? I know some GR at the level of Schutz/Hartle, Schrodinger QM at the level of Griffiths, Classical Mechanics at the level of Marion & Thornton, and EM.

However, I don't know any Heisenberg QM, QFT, or Group Theory. Would this be a problem in getting through Zwiebach's book? If so, can anyone recommend some books on the subjects I have listed?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2011 #2
    Hi Auracrystal,

I was in a similar situation as you. I knew quantum on the level of griffiths, EM with griffiths and some basic mechanics (I used fowles, random book dont ask).

You dont really need GR beyond knowing the linearized form of Einsteins equations and you probably have enough background. You're level of GR is probably more than enough.

I didn't have any background in the heisenberg picture beyond what I read in Sakurai and really no background in QFT. Group theory won't really be necessary either except for maybe the chapter on particle physics. Overall the prerequisites are kept to a minimal. Zwiebach goes over the connection between the two pictures. You just need a good background in basic quantum, special relativity and tensor calculus.

4. Dec 26, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the advice!

Does Zwiebach's book explain string theory's derivation of nonlinear GR?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook