Books (or any information material) about the nervous system?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a comprehensive book on the human nervous system, covering topics such as its composition, functions, nerve behavior, calculations, and interactions with other body parts. The conversation also mentioned a desire for a detailed mapping of the nerves in each body part. A potential resource for this information is the website http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/cnerves/contents.html, which provides a basic overview of the nervous system.
CrossboneSRB
I appear to have a very specific need, I require some sort of a book that covers the human nervous system from a to z, I need to know everything about it, what it's made of, what each part's function are, how the nerves behave at each particular sections of the body, the calculations that are involved in the nervous system's operations, how each different part of the nervous system works with every other part, maybe even a mapping of how many nerves there are at each part of the human body in each body part if possible, but I need something that covers the nervous system very elaborately, I really need to know everything.

Biology news on Phys.org

1. What is the nervous system?

The nervous system is a complex network of nerves and cells that transmit signals between different parts of the body. It is responsible for controlling and coordinating bodily functions, as well as responding to internal and external stimuli.

2. What are the main components of the nervous system?

The main components of the nervous system include the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. The brain is the control center of the nervous system and is responsible for cognition, emotion, and motor control. The spinal cord serves as a pathway for nerve signals between the brain and the rest of the body. The peripheral nerves connect the central nervous system to the body's organs, muscles, and sensory receptors.

3. How does the nervous system work?

The nervous system works by transmitting electrical and chemical signals between neurons. Sensory neurons receive information from the environment and send signals to the brain, which then processes and interprets the information. Motor neurons transmit signals from the brain to the muscles, enabling movement. Interneurons within the central nervous system integrate and process information received from sensory neurons and transmit signals to motor neurons.

4. How does the nervous system develop?

The nervous system develops through a process called neurogenesis, where new nerve cells are produced from stem cells. This process begins in the early stages of embryonic development and continues throughout life. The nervous system also undergoes significant changes during critical periods, such as during childhood and adolescence.

5. What are some common disorders of the nervous system?

Some common disorders of the nervous system include Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and stroke. These disorders can affect the structure and function of the nervous system, leading to various symptoms such as memory loss, impaired movement, and sensory deficits. Treatment for these disorders often involves a combination of medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes.