1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books to master pre college calculus

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    suggest books to master olympiad level calculus
    I have knowledge of all the basic integration,applications of derivatives, differentiation, limits continuity derivability & everything that a high school student should know but still I am having problems in solving olympiad level questions( can occasionally solve those olympiad problems). And Iwant to master in pre college calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey simpy and welcome to the forums.

I think I have a good book for you.

It was written by Terrance Tao who is a professor at UCLA who went pretty well in this kind of environment (Math Olympiad). He wrote a book on problem solving that seems right up your alley:

https://www.amazon.com/Solving-Mathematical-Problems-Personal-Perspective/dp/0199205604

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 31, 2012 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I recommend reading Professor Tao's preface to the second edition at that link. It seems he wrote that book at the age of 15. Not that it isn't excellent for the OP's purpose, but he points out that it necessarily contains none of the insights of the mathematician he is now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook