Books to master pre college calculus

In summary, if you are looking to master olympiad level calculus, I suggest reading "Solving Mathematical Problems: A Personal Perspective" by Terrance Tao. This book, written by a successful Math Olympian and current professor at UCLA, focuses on problem solving and may be helpful in improving your skills in this area.
simpy
suggest books to master olympiad level calculus
I have knowledge of all the basic integration,applications of derivatives, differentiation, limits continuity derivability & everything that a high school student should know but still I am having problems in solving olympiad level questions( can occasionally solve those olympiad problems). And Iwant to master in pre college calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
simpy said:
suggest books to master olympiad level calculus
I have knowledge of all the basic integration,applications of derivatives, differentiation, limits continuity derivability & everything that a high school student should know but still I am having problems in solving olympiad level questions( can occasionally solve those olympiad problems). And Iwant to master in pre college calculus.

Hey simpy and welcome to the forums.

I think I have a good book for you.

It was written by Terrance Tao who is a professor at UCLA who went pretty well in this kind of environment (Math Olympiad). He wrote a book on problem solving that seems right up your alley:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199205604/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend reading Professor Tao's preface to the second edition at that link. It seems he wrote that book at the age of 15. Not that it isn't excellent for the OP's purpose, but he points out that it necessarily contains none of the insights of the mathematician he is now.

1. What is pre college calculus?

Pre college calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It includes topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, and is considered an essential subject for students who plan to pursue higher education in fields such as engineering, science, or mathematics.

2. Why is it important to master pre college calculus?

Mastering pre college calculus is important because it provides a solid foundation for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in many academic and professional fields.

3. Are there any resources available for mastering pre college calculus?

Yes, there are many resources available for mastering pre college calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and tutoring services. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and provides clear explanations and practice problems.

4. How can I improve my understanding of pre college calculus?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of pre college calculus is to practice regularly. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as study guides or online tutorials, and to ask for help from teachers or tutors when needed. Additionally, actively participating in class and asking questions can also enhance your understanding.

5. Can mastering pre college calculus lead to better grades?

While mastering pre college calculus does not guarantee better grades, it can certainly improve your chances of success. By understanding the fundamental concepts and practicing regularly, you will be better equipped to handle more challenging problems and achieve higher grades in your calculus class.