Boolean algeabra prblem using T8/T8' distributivity theorems

• Thread starter jennbjork
  • Start date
In summary, The equations F and G are being converted to 2-level implementations using t8/t8' distributivity theorems to get SOP/POS form. The simplified equations are F=Z*W and G=ABC+A'BD'.
jennbjork

Homework Statement

Convert each of the equations to an equivalent 2 - level implementation using t8/t8' distributivity theorems to get SOP/POS form. Simplify
F= Z((W'+Y+X')(W'+XY'Z))
G= ABC+D'(B+AC)(A'+C)'

Homework Equations

T8: x*(y+z)= x*y+x*z
T8': x+(y*z)=(x+y)*(x+z)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used T8' to take out w':
F=Z(W'+(X'+Y)(XY'Z))
=Z(W'+X'XY'Z+XYY'Z)
=Z(W'+0+0)
=Z*W

G= ABC+D'(B+AC)(A'+C)'

I distribute D' using T8:
ABC+(BD'+ACD')(A'D'+CD')'

but then do I continue as:
ABC+A'BD'D'+BC'D'D''+AA'CD'D'+ACC'D'D''
=ABC+A'BD'+BC'(0)+(0)CD'+A(0)(0)
=ABC+A'BD'+0+0 (x*x'=0; x*x=1; x*0=0)
=ABC+A'BD'

Physics news on Phys.org

Or do I need to use T8' again to distribute the remaining terms? If so, how would I do that?

Your solution for F is correct, but for G, you can continue using T8' to distribute the remaining terms:

G= ABC+D'(B+AC)(A'+C')
= ABC+D'(B+A')(B+C')(A'+C') (using T8')
= ABC+D'(B+B'A'+BC'+A'C') (using T8')
= ABC+D'(B'+A'C') (using T8')
= ABC+D'B'+D'A'C' (using T8)

So the simplified SOP form for G is ABC+D'B'+D'A'C'.

What is Boolean algebra and why is it important in science?

Boolean algebra is a mathematical system used to represent and manipulate logical statements. It is important in science because it allows for the simplification and analysis of complex logical expressions, which is essential for designing experiments and analyzing data.

What are the T8 and T8' distributivity theorems?

The T8 distributivity theorem states that the logical expression (A OR B) AND (A OR C) can be simplified to A OR (B AND C). The T8' distributivity theorem is the reverse and states that A OR (B AND C) can be simplified to (A OR B) AND (A OR C).

How do I apply the T8/T8' distributivity theorems to solve a Boolean algebra problem?

To apply the T8/T8' distributivity theorems, you must first identify the expression you want to simplify and determine if it follows the form of either theorem. If it does, you can use the corresponding theorem to simplify the expression. If not, you may need to use other Boolean algebra rules and laws to solve the problem.

Can I use the T8/T8' distributivity theorems in any logical expression?

No, the T8/T8' distributivity theorems can only be applied to expressions in the form of (A OR B) AND (A OR C) or A OR (B AND C). If the expression does not follow this form, the theorems cannot be used.

Are there any limitations to using the T8/T8' distributivity theorems?

Yes, the T8/T8' distributivity theorems can only be applied to expressions involving the logical operators OR and AND. They cannot be applied to expressions involving other operators, such as NOT or XOR.