1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Arithmetic Simplification

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am asked to prove that [itex](\sim x)\vee z = \sim(x\vee y)\vee\sim(y\vee\sim z)\vee\sim(x\vee\sim y)\vee\sim(\sim y\vee\sim z)[/itex].

I've tried using all combinations of DeMoran's rule, the distributive rule to get the y terms together, and the absorption rule to get rid of the y (which is required in order to simplify it down in terms of x and z.

2. Relevant equations

DeMorgan's Rule: [itex]\sim(p\wedge q) = \sim p\vee\sim q[/itex]
    Absorption Rule: [itex]p\vee(p\wedge q) = p[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can post some of the steps I've taken, but none really lead anywhere. Where is a good place to start for a question like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Convert the OR's contained within brackets to AND's using DeMorgan's rules.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    Thanks -- yeah, I was trying that before, but couldn't get it simplified down enough.

I got the solution now (and it wasn't too hard). I just had to use DeMorgan's and the distributive rule to get rid of all the Ys first, and then everything else just fell into place without much effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook