1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boring Question (grad school & GPA)

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    Hi PF,
    Sorry for the rather boring question but, does anyone know where to get data on average gpa's of students accepted to various grad schools?

I'm a bit worried because my physics gpa is around a 3.5, as is my regular gpa. However, I'm starting to realize that a lot of kids have gpa's around this range.

Also, does the fact that I go to a top ten school make much of a difference?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

You're at Duke, right? That's not a Top Ten school. In physics, according to US News and World Report, Duke is tied for 30th.

Now that you know this, did you suddenly know any less physics? This is why ranking is not nearly as important as people here seem to think it is.

On to your question, I doubt very much that this is out there. What would be the benefit to the school to spend the time collecting this information and making it public?

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    I was referring to Duke's undergraduate ranking, not its physics graduate ranking (not sure which would be more relevant here, since I am a physics undergraduate).

As for my question, the vast majority of undergraduate schools, I think, release information such as the middle 50% range for SAT scores... I'm not interested in playing the guess the motive game. But a no is a no, I guess (and I can't find it myself).

5. May 11, 2010 #4
    Grad schools have this data, as it's in the applications and they know who they accepted. Some schools give a ballpark figure in their admissions FAQs, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. I'd agree though that the incentive to make it public is low, 'specially 'cause of the funky politics involved with grad school apps.

6. May 11, 2010 #5
    Not that much. I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA, there isn't really anything you can do about it now - and no matter how high your GPA was, at grad school level there will always be lots of other people with the same thing too.

What you need to do is try to make your application stand out in other ways, there are many threads on this forum about applying to grad school with lots of tips - though not all of them are applicable to you at this stage it will give you an idea of what to include in applications.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook