1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bosons/fermions trapped in a 1 dimensional trap

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A system of bosons or fermions trapped in a potential.
    I'm being asked to write the Hamiltonian in 1st and 2nd quantization and "describe the ground state" of the system.

My main question is: what does it mean to describe the ground state? What should I look for? Should I look for the lowest energy?

2. Relevant equations
    1 dimensional MOT-trap: ##V(x)=mw^2x^2/2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt for writing the hamiltonian:
    1st quantization ##H=\sum_{i=1}^{N}\frac{p_i^2}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}mw^2x_i^2##
    2nd quantization: ##H=\int dx \psi^{\dagger}(x)\left[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+\frac{1}{2}mw^2x_i^2\right]\psi(x)##
    Where ##\psi(x)## isthe field operator.

Do you think this is enough? Are the hamiltonians equal for both bosons or fermions? Am I missing all the important stuff?

As for describing the ground state I don't know, my attempt has been writing down the many-body wavefunction (I don't know why, just to put something) for each case and explain that bosons can all be at the ground state and fermions have the exclusion principle.
    ##\Psi^{(S)}=N_S\sum_p \phi_1(x_1) \phi_2(x_2)... \phi_N(x_N)##
    ##\Psi^{(A)}=N_A\sum_p sgn(p)\phi_1(x_1) \phi_2(x_2)... \phi_N(x_N)##

Any advice/guidance?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is the ground state by definition.
    That's the important difference between the two. Which states will be filled in the different cases?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted