Boundary conditions for particle in square well with infinite wall

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
loobloke
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given a square well,
Infinite wall at x=0
Wall height U for x>L

For E<U, find solutions to the schrondinger equation inside the well, and beyond x>L which satisy boundary conditions for x=0 and x=[tex]\infty[/tex]

Taking conditions at x=L, find the allowable energies of the system.


Homework Equations


Schrondinger equation


The Attempt at a Solution


Know U=0 inside the well, 0<x<L.

Conditions we get are, (I can't find the wavefunction symbol, Y looks the closest.)
x is continuous at 0, hence Y(0)=0

What condition do I need at x=L? Or am I completely missing the plot.

Do I need to do another condition at x=[tex]\infty[/tex]?
Ie, there are two solutions? One inside the well and one outside?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are two solutions. You need to solve the SE in both regions and then join the solutions smoothly at x=L, i.e., ψ(L-)=ψ(L+) and ψ'(L-)=ψ'(L+).