• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding momentum distribution for particle in square well

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##m## is trapped between two walls in an infinite square well with potential energy
[tex]V(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{cc} +\infty & (x < -a), \\ 0 & (-a \leq x \leq a), \\ +\infty & (x > a).\end{array} \right.[/tex]
Suppose the wavefuntion of the particle at time ##t=0## is [tex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}}.[/tex]
Show that the probability density for the particle having momentum ##p## is [tex]g(p) = \frac{\sin^2 (pa)}{(\pi a p)^2} \qquad (-\infty < p < +\infty).[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to transform the wave function to momentum representation I use [tex] \phi(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-a}^a \psi(x) e^{-ipx/\hbar}\,dx.[/tex] From this I got [tex]\phi(p) = \frac{\hbar \sin(pa/\hbar)}{p\sqrt{\pi a}}.[/tex] Squaring this isn't going to give the required answer though. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It could be that the person who wrote the problem is assuming units where ##\hbar = 1##. Even so, the answer for g(p) as stated in the problem appears to have a typographical error. Only the p should be squared in the denominator.

Your work looks good except I think the numerical factor in front of the integral for ##\phi(p)## should have ##\hbar## in it. This will modify your answer a little. Consider the dimensions of ##\phi(p)## and see if your answer has the correct dimensions.

Likes 1 person
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Yes, it should be
[tex]\phi(p)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi(x) \exp(\mathrm{i} p x/\hbar).[/tex]
This must be so, because of (a) the correct units, because [itex]\phi[/itex] should be of dimension [itex]1/\sqrt{[p]}[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] is of dimension [itex]1/\sqrt{[x]}[/itex] and (b) to make the Fourier transform a unitary transformation, changing from the position representation to the momentum representation of states. It's a change from one generalized basis to another and thus should be a unitary mapping of [itex]\mathrm{L}^2(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{C}) \to \mathrm{L}^2(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{C})[/itex].

Likes 1 person