1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Well with Infinite Barriers

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is in a one-dimensional rectangular potential well
    with barriers of infinite height. The width of the well is equal to L = 5 nm.
    Find the wavelengths of photons emitted during electronic transitions from the
    excited states with quantum numbers n = 2, λ21, and n = 3, λ31, to the ground
    state with n = 1. (Answer: λ21 ≈ 1.15 µm and λ31 ≈ 0.43 µm.)

2. Relevant equations

E1 = (∏^2)*h^2/2meL^2 = 0.3737/L^2 eV

ΔE = En+1 − En = (2n + 1)E1

ε = hf

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the ground state energy to be 0.0149 eV. Then using the ΔE equation for n=2,3 I found the energies of the emitted photons to be 0.0745 eV and 0.1043 eV, respectively.
    Using these energies in plancks formula is getting me the wrong wavelengths, what am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This formula will only work for jumping between two neighboring states. So, it should work for E2-E1. But what value should you use for n in the formula for this case? (It's not n = 2.)

For the jump from the n = 3 to the n = 1 case you might just want to calculate the energies of each state separately and then subtract.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook