Boundary, stationary, and singular points

In summary, the conversation discusses different types of points on the domain of a multi-variable function, including boundary points, stationary points, and singular points. The examples given involve functions with different domains, such as square root of x, x^2, and sqrt(x^2-y^2-1). The best way to distinguish these points is to check the domain and determine if the partial derivatives exist. For polynomial functions, there are no boundary points or singularities, so all points in the interior of the domain are stationary points. However, for functions like sqrt(x), where 0 is both a boundary point and a singularity, it can be viewed differently depending on the perspective. In this case, 0 is considered a boundary point
jwxie
This is a topic in multi-variable calculus, extrema of functions.

Our professor wrote:

Boundary points: points on the edges of the domain if only such points

stationary: points in the interior of the domain such that f is differentiable at x,y and gradient x,y is a zero vector.

singular points - points in the interior of the domain such that f is not differentiable at x,y

I understood that to classify the type, we have to look at the domain.

For example, sqrt of x gives you a domain x>= 0. It is clear that the partial derivative does not exists at (0,0), because there is a square root of x in the bottom. So I say that it is a singular point.

Our professor said it was also a boundary point. I agreed with him in class, but I didn't remember my reason... lmao.

In the case of x^2, it is defined across the x-axis, so when we take f ' (x), we get 2x = 0, and the critical point is x = 0.
This is a stationary point.

So what is the best and most convinent way to distinguish the three types? Sometime the function can be quite ugly?
My approach would be #1 check the domain, and if it only appears to be the points on the boundary, such as sqrt(x^2-y^2-1), then i suppose the critical points are boundary, because fx and fy does not exists for this function?

#2 if it is a polynomial function, it should always be the stationary point?
#3 the trouble point is the singular point.

But it seems like in the case of sqrt(x), 0 is both singular and boundary, just how one looks at it. Then how do we justify it?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:
This is a topic in multi-variable calculus, extrema of functions.
Since the topic is multi-variable calculus, why are many of your examples single-variable functions?
jwxie said:
Our professor wrote:

Boundary points: points on the edges of the domain if only such points

stationary: points in the interior of the domain such that f is differentiable at x,y and gradient x,y is a zero vector.

singular points - points in the interior of the domain such that f is not differentiable at x,y

I understood that to classify the type, we have to look at the domain.

For example, sqrt of x gives you a domain x>= 0. It is clear that the partial derivative does not exists at (0,0), because there is a square root of x in the bottom. So I say that it is a singular point.
Boundary point - 0 is not in the interior of the domain, which is [0, inf). Also, you're talking about the plain derivative, not a partial derivative.
jwxie said:
Our professor said it was also a boundary point. I agreed with him in class, but I didn't remember my reason... lmao.

In the case of x^2, it is defined across the x-axis, so when we take f ' (x), we get 2x = 0, and the critical point is x = 0.
This is a stationary point.

So what is the best and most convinent way to distinguish the three types? Sometime the function can be quite ugly?
My approach would be #1 check the domain, and if it only appears to be the points on the boundary, such as sqrt(x^2-y^2-1), then i suppose the critical points are boundary, because fx and fy does not exists for this function?
Why do you say that the partials don't exist? You're not being very clear here - is the function f(x, y) = sqrt(x^2 - y^2 -1)?
jwxie said:
#2 if it is a polynomial function, it should always be the stationary point?
Yes, because polynomials are continuous and differentiable everywhere, so there are no boundary points to consider and no singularities.
jwxie said:
#3 the trouble point is the singular point.

But it seems like in the case of sqrt(x), 0 is both singular and boundary, just how one looks at it. Then how do we justify it?
As already stated, 0 is a boundary point of this function.
jwxie said:
Thank you

Thank you Mark. :)

1. What are boundary points?

Boundary points are points that lie on the edge of a boundary or boundary line. They are points that separate one region from another and do not belong to either region.

2. How are stationary points different from boundary points?

Stationary points are points where the gradient or slope of a function is equal to zero. They can be located within a region or on the boundary of a region. Unlike boundary points, they do not necessarily separate regions.

3. What is the significance of singular points?

Singular points are points where a function is not differentiable. This means that the function is not smooth at these points and may have a sharp or undefined value. Singular points can also serve as critical points, where the derivative of a function is undefined.

4. How do boundary, stationary, and singular points affect the behavior of a function?

Boundary points can affect the continuity of a function and determine the limits of its domain. Stationary points can represent maximum or minimum values of a function, while singular points can indicate points of discontinuity or instability in a function.

5. How can one identify and analyze boundary, stationary, and singular points?

To identify boundary points, one can look for points that lie on the edge of a region or boundary line. Stationary points can be found by setting the derivative of a function equal to zero and solving for the variables. Singular points can be identified by examining the continuity and differentiability of a function. To analyze these points, one can use mathematical techniques such as differentiation, integration, and limits.