1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary Value problem and ODE

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is on the right thread but here goes. It's a perturbation type problem.

Consider the boundry value problem

$$\epsilon y'' + y' + y = 0$$
    Show that if $$\epsilon = 0$$ the first order constant coefficient equation has
    the solution
    $$y_{outer} (x) = e^{1-x} $$
    I have done this fine.
    Find a suitable rescaling $$X = x/\delta$$ so that the highest derivative is important and balances another term and find the solutions $y_{inner}(X)$ of
    this equation, containing one free parameter, satisfying the boundary
    condition at $$x = X = 0$$

So I am at the rescaling part and solved the differential equation (after neglecting the δy part of the full equation)
    $$\frac{d^2y}{dX^2} + \frac{dy}{dX} = 0 $$
    yielding $$ y = Ae^{-X} + B$$

imposing the boundry condition $$x = X = 0$$

gives $$A = B$$

so is $$y_{inner} = Ae^{-X}$$ ??
    I think I covered that the highest derivative is important (Although again I was unsure about the wording)

When I continue on I think I either have this part wrong or the matching is wrong as I am not getting the right answer. I am supposed to be doing intermediate scaling. If anyone has any comments about this that would also be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!

P.S. This is posted on a different thread. A mistake on my part. Not sure how to delete it so please could someone tell me!

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you call this a "boundary value problem" when there is no boundary condition given?

If a condition is that y(0)= e, yes, that would be correct.

Yes, that's good.

??? at X= 0, y(0)= A+ B but if you are given no specific value of y there, it gives you nothing. If you are taking y(0)= 0, then you would have A= -B, not A= B.

Why? If you do have A= B, then it would be y= A(e^{-X}+ 1). If A= -B, it would be y= A(e^{-X}- 1)
    Now, as X goes to infinity (x is not infinitesmal) this would give y= -A and you want to match that to y= e^{1- x} which is e at x= 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook