Bounday-Value Problem: Eigenvalue and Eigenfunctions

In summary, the question provided is a differential equation involving second derivatives and a parameter, with initial values given. The conversation between two people seems to be discussing possible approaches to solving the equation, but neither have a definite solution yet.
physicsfan24

Homework Statement

This is the original question:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}-\frac{6x}{3x^{2}+1}\frac{dy}{dx}+\lambda(3x^{2}+1)^{2}y=0[/tex]

(Hint: Let t=[tex]x^{3}+x[/tex])
y(0)=0
y([tex]\pi[/tex])=02. The attempt at a solution
This might be all wrong, but this is all I can think of
[tex]\frac{dt}{dx}=3x^{2}+1[/tex]

so [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}-\frac{6x}{\frac{dt}{dx}}\frac{dy}{dx}+\lambda(\frac{dt}{dx})^{2}y=0[/tex]After this, I do not know how to proceed to eliminate [tex]d^{2}y/dx^{2}[/tex], much less what else to do. Help!
Thank you very much for your time,
-PhysicsFan24

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
holy **** bro are you in my class, MIAMI DADE DEs?? LOL and were both on here lookin 4 help here.

check out my thread, its the whole paper lol. yo you got the answers for any of the others??

Umm, I'm in U of Virgina and this is an online HW question... Yes I am taking ODE. You're in my class?

nevermind. I am in Miami Florida. But I got the same question as you at the same time. One hell of a coincidence. Let me know if you find the answer, and you can check my thread too, I got the same question posted on there.

1. What is a boundary-value problem?

A boundary-value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation or system of equations that satisfies certain boundary conditions. These conditions specify the values of the solution at the boundaries of the domain in which it is defined.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are mathematical concepts used to solve boundary-value problems. Eigenvalues are the values of a parameter in a differential equation that make the equation solvable, while eigenfunctions are the corresponding solutions to the differential equation. In other words, eigenvalues determine the behavior of the system, while eigenfunctions are the actual solutions to the problem.

3. How are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions related to boundary-value problems?

In a boundary-value problem, the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are used to find a solution that satisfies the given boundary conditions. The eigenvalues determine the behavior of the system, while the eigenfunctions provide the actual solutions that satisfy the boundary conditions.

4. What are some applications of boundary-value problems in science?

Boundary-value problems are used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology. They are particularly useful in studying systems with boundary conditions, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in modeling and analyzing real-world phenomena, such as the spread of diseases or the behavior of financial markets.

5. How are boundary-value problems solved?

Boundary-value problems can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding closed-form solutions using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solutions. Some commonly used numerical methods for solving boundary-value problems include the finite difference method, finite element method, and spectral method.