1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounday-Value Problem: Eigenvalue and Eigenfunctions

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is the original question:

(Hint: Let t=[tex]x^{3}+x[/tex])

2. The attempt at a solution
    This might be all wrong, but this is all I can think of

so [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}-\frac{6x}{\frac{dt}{dx}}\frac{dy}{dx}+\lambda(\frac{dt}{dx})^{2}y=0[/tex]

After this, I do not know how to proceed to eliminate [tex]d^{2}y/dx^{2}[/tex], much less what else to do. Help!

Thank you very much for your time,
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2008 #2
    holy **** bro are you in my class, MIAMI DADE DEs?? LOL and were both on here lookin 4 help here.

check out my thread, its the whole paper lol. yo you got the answers for any of the others??
  4. Jul 15, 2008 #3
    Umm, I'm in U of Virgina and this is an online HW question... Yes I am taking ODE. You're in my class?
  5. Jul 15, 2008 #4
    nevermind. Im in Miami Florida. But I got the same question as you at the same time. One hell of a coincidence. Let me know if you find the answer, and you can check my thread too, I got the same question posted on there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?