1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining stability about a critical point using eigenfunctions

1. Aug 2, 2012 #1
    I admit I am a bit out of practice when it comes to DiffEq. I think I am either forgetting a simple step or getting my methods mixed up.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem concerns a pendulum defined by

d2θ/dt2 + (c/mL)(dθ/dt) + (g/L)sinθ = 0
    where m=1, L=1, c=0.5, and of course g=9.8

After converting the DE to a first order system:

set x = θ and y = x' so that
    dx/dt = y
    dy/dt = -9.8sinx - 0.5y

And identifying critical points:

(n∏,0) where n is an integer

I am asked to linearize the nonlinear system and determine stability about the critical points. If i can get some help with the first point, I should be able to figure out the others.

2. Relevant equations

dx/dt = y
    dy/dt = -9.8sinx - 0.5y

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been rummaging through my notes on eigenfunctions and am more or less at a loss how an eigenvalue determines stability. I think I want to take the partial derivatives of the system and evaluate at the point (0,0)...

fx(dy/dt) = -9.8cosx
    fy(dy/dt) = -0.5
    fx(dx/dt) = 0
    fy(dx/dt) = 1

evaluated @ (0,0):
    fx(dy/dt) = -9.8
    fy(dy/dt) = -0.5
    fx(dx/dt) = 0
    fy(dx/dt) = 1

But I'm not sure why I care or how to proceed to determine the stability about that point.

Clarification: I would like some tips on how to linearize my function and how to get it into the form with which I can determine its eigenvalues ( A-lambda)v=0

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Expand sin x as a first-order Taylor polynomial. That's the linear approximation of sin x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook