Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem (Variational Method?)

In summary: It doesn't matter too much now as the works been submitted. But would need to be able to problems like this for an exam in like 6 week time.In summary, the student was trying to solve a Sturm-Liouville equation but was stuck. They were lost and needed help from the expert.
ChrisJ

Homework Statement

Using Sturm-Liouville theory, estimate the lowest eigenvalue ##\lambda_0## of...
[tex]
\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+\lambda xy = 0
[/tex]
With the boundary conditions, ##y(0)=y(\pi)=0##

And explain why your estimate but be strictly greater than ##\lambda_0##

Homework Equations

##\frac{d}{dx} \left (p \frac{dy}{dx} \right) + qy + \lambda \rho y = 0 ##
##\frac{I}{J}=\frac{\int (p (y')^2 - qy^2) dx}{\int \rho y^2 dx} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am rather stuck here I think, I am so confused, I am pretty sure our lecturer said we had to use the variatonal method but I cannot see how to do that here.

But somewhere in my notes it says that the eigenvalues of a SL equation are given by I/J (second equation in the relevant equations section).

So to make a start that is what I did. Comparing the Sl equation with the equation given to solve, I can see that ##p=1##, ##q=0##, and ##\rho(x) = x## where ##\rho## is the weight function. And I used the trial function that ##y(x)=\sin(x)##

So I calcuated I/J (lower limit 0, upper limit ##\pi## for the integrals), using integration by parts and trig identities for J and simple trig identities and u-sub for I.

I found ##I=\pi/2## and ##J=\pi^2/4## so therefore ##I/J=2/\pi## I didnt post all my working because I doubled checked it in an integral calculator. But now I am lost. That cannot just be it.

I don't understand how to use the variational method here, all examples I have seen using the SL variational method online were to solve problem where a trial function of ##e^{-\alpha x^2} ## satisfied the BC's and the problems required integrating I/J from -'ve to +'ve infinity, and then setting it to zero and solving for ##\alpha## I can't see how I can use that method in this problem.

Or if that even is what is required. Any help is greatly appreciated, really lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't it be it? It is an estimate. You might be able to improve on it by using some sort of trial function that depends on a parameter you can minimise wrt to, but that is another step. How close you get to the actual eigenvalue will depend on how good you are at guessing.

Likes ChrisJ
Orodruin said:
Why can't it be it? It is an estimate. How close you get to the actual eigenvalue will depend on how good you are at guessing.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know the answer I had was a valid estimate, just I don’t think it is what the assessors will be looking for.

Orodruin said:
You might be able to improve on it by using some sort of trial function that depends on a parameter you can minimise wrt to, but that is another step.
Do you mean like using ##\sin(\alpha x)## instead and then setting I/J to zero and solving for \alpha? I did attempt that beforehand but I didnt seem to get anywhere usefull but will give it another go if that is what is required.

Or should I try to improve my trial function?

That function does not satisfy the boundary conditions except for a discrete set of alphas. Your guess must always satisfy the boundary conditions.

Orodruin said:
That function does not satisfy the boundary conditions except for a discrete set of alphas. Your guess must always satisfy the boundary conditions.

Oh ok, should I try to look for a different
Orodruin said:

Ah ok.

So when you said
You might be able to improve on it by using some sort of trial function that depends on a parameter you can minimise wrt to, but that is another step.

Did you mean a completely different function to Sine? As I am thinking that minimising wrt to a parameter is what I need to do. I can't think of any other function that would satisfy the BC's though,

ChrisJ said:
I can't think of any other function that would satisfy the BC's though
You cannot think of any other function that satisfies ##y(0) = y(\pi) = 0##??

I have two suggestions:
1. Let ##y(x)=sin(nx)##.
2' Express ##\rho(x)## as a Fourier series.

Orodruin said:
You cannot think of any other function that satisfies ##y(0) = y(\pi) = 0##??

It doesn’t matter too much now as the works been submitted. But would need to be able to problems like this for an exam in like 6 week time.

But I couldn't think of another function that satisfied the BC's and that was suitable.

I tried ##y(x) = \sin(x) / x ## and the calculation become impossible, or more generally tried ##y(x)=x^n \sin(x)##. And I also tried ##y(x)=e^{ix} + 1## but that leads to a non-real answer.

Fred Wright said:
I have two suggestions:
1. Let ##y(x)=sin(nx)##.

I suggested that on post #3, but was told its not valid as it doesn't always satisfy the BC's

ChrisJ said:
I suggested that on post #3, but was told its not valid as it doesn't always satisfy the BC's
No you did not. You suggested ##\sin(\alpha x)## where I interpreted ##\alpha## as a continuous parameter. When ##n## is an integer, it clearly satisfies the boundary conditions. Any linear combination of such functions, for example ##f(x,\alpha) = \cos(\alpha)\sin(x) + \sin(\alpha) \sin(2x)## would be a possible trial function.

ChrisJ said:
But I couldn't think of another function that satisfied the BC's and that was suitable.
What do you mean by "suitable"? Any function that satisfies the boundary conditions will work. Of course, you might get a better or worse estimate depending on the function you pick.

1. What is the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem?

The Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a second-order linear differential equation with boundary conditions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical systems.

2. What is the Variational Method in relation to the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem?

The Variational Method is a mathematical technique used to approximate the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem. It involves finding the minimum value of a functional that is related to the problem, and using it to approximate the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

3. How is the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem solved using the Variational Method?

The Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem is solved using the Variational Method by first writing the problem as a functional, which is a mathematical expression involving the eigenfunction and its derivatives. Then, the minimum value of this functional is found, and it provides an approximation for the eigenvalue. This process is repeated for different values of the eigenvalue until a satisfactory approximation is obtained.

4. What are some applications of the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem and the Variational Method?

The Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem and the Variational Method have various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of vibrations in mechanical systems, heat conduction in materials, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in solving problems involving boundary value conditions, such as determining the natural frequencies of a vibrating string or a beam.

5. What are the limitations of the Variational Method in solving the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem?

One limitation of the Variational Method is that it only provides an approximation for the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, and the accuracy of this approximation depends on the choice of the trial function used. Another limitation is that it can only be used for linear problems, and cannot be applied to nonlinear Sturm-Liouville problems. Additionally, the Variational Method can be computationally intensive, especially for problems with complex boundary conditions.