1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM 1-D Harmonic Oscillator Eigenfunction Problem

1. Mar 18, 2014 #1

tis

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] moves in a 1-D Harmonic oscillator potential with frequency [itex]\omega.[/itex]
    The second excited state is [itex]\psi_{2}(x) = C(2 \alpha^{2} x^{2} + \lambda) e^{-\frac{1}{2} a^{2} x^{2}}[/itex] with energy eigenvalue [itex]E_{2} = \frac{5}{2} \hbar \omega[/itex].

[itex]C[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are constants. Show that the constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] is not arbitrary.

NOTE: [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{1}{2} a x^{2}} dx = \sqrt{2\pi / a}, a > 0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    That I can think of: TISE, normalization condition for wavefunctions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assume there's a solution in substituting into the time-independent Schrodinger Equation and solving for [itex]\lambda[/itex], but the equation seems very difficult. And I have no idea how to utilize the hint provided; everything I've tried (normalization condition, etc.) just gives a dependence on C. I've scoured my textbooks with no luck, their only relevant info is using ladder operators and other methods to produce eigenfunctions.

Just after a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2
    Your idea to substitute this into the TISE seems like a good start. All you will have to do is take derivatives and rearrange some terms, and you will end up with an equation which determines lambda. Give it a try.

4. Mar 20, 2014 #3

tis

Figured it out. Take the ground state of the harmonic oscillator [itex]\psi_{0} = A e^{-\frac{1}{2}\alpha^{2} x^{2}}[/itex] and use the orthogonality condition [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_{0}^{*} \psi_{2} \ dx = 0[/itex].

From there just expand, cancel out A* and C, and solve the integrals with integration by parts and the hint provided. Eventually you come to [itex]0=2\alpha^{2}\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2\alpha^{3}}+\lambda\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{ \alpha }[/itex], hence [itex]\lambda=-1[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted