1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundedness of Continuous Function

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]f[/itex] be a real, uniformly continuous function on the bounded set [itex]E[/itex] in [itex]R^1[/itex]. Prove that [itex]f[/itex] is bounded on [itex]E[/itex]. Show that the conclusion is false if boundedness of [itex]E[/itex] is omitted from the hypothesis.

2. Relevant equations

NA

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so the second part is easy. We simply let [itex]E=R^1[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=x[/itex].

For the first part, I feel like there is a proof-by-contradiction to be had, but I can't quite find it. Any help in the right direction (including telling me that I'm barking up the wrong tree), would be helpful.

Here's what I have so far (pretty much just the definitions, currently searching for where to create the contradiction):

Assume [itex]f[/itex] is unbounded on [itex]E[/itex]. Then, for all [itex]M>0[/itex], there exists some [itex]{x}\in{E}[/itex] s.t. [itex]\left|f(x)\right|>M[/itex].
    Now, because [itex]E[/itex] is bounded, there exists [itex]{x}\in{R^1}[/itex] and [itex]r>0[/itex] s.t. [itex]d(x,s)<r[/itex] for all [itex]{s}\in{E}[/itex]

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##E## is bounded, then it is contained in some compact set ##K##. Compact sets allow you to reduce any open cover to a finite subcover. What would be a good open cover to use here?

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't used uniform continuity! E contained in the interval [s-r,s+r]. State the definition of uniform continuity and split the interval into a lot of parts.

5. Mar 15, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And you do need to use uniform continuity. The function f(x)= 1/x is continuous on (0, 1) but not bounded.

(I point this out because my first thought was that continuity was sufficient. I was trying to remember "a function continuous on a closed and bounded set is bounded on that set" and momentarily forgot that E is not necessarily closed.)

6. Mar 15, 2013 #5
    Ah, got it! Of course. It's pretty simple from there. Thanks everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted