Boussinesq theory (load per unit area)

In summary, Boussinesq theory is a mathematical model used to analyze the distribution of load per unit area on a surface. It takes into account the depth of the load and the material properties of the surface to determine the stress and deformation caused by the load. This theory has been widely applied in geotechnical and structural engineering to predict the behavior of soil and foundations under different loading conditions. It has also been used in other fields such as meteorology and physics to study the effects of surface phenomena.
tzx9633
in question 10.19 , i use equation 10.26 to do the question . I have all the values of all variables , except q ( load per unit area) ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How to get q ? It's not stated in the textbook . Is there something to do with the homework =4m ??

I assume q = h(unit weight of water0 = 4x9.81 = 39.2kN/ (m^2) . Am i right ? Correct me if i am wrong .

Attachments

• 724.jpg
    724.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 725.png
    725.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct.

Likes tzx9633

1. What is Boussinesq theory?

Boussinesq theory is a mathematical model used to analyze the stresses, deformations, and displacements induced by a load applied on a semi-infinite elastic medium, such as soil or rock. It assumes that the medium is homogeneous, isotropic, and linearly elastic.

2. How is Boussinesq theory applied in engineering?

Boussinesq theory is commonly used in geotechnical engineering to calculate the stresses and displacements in soil caused by structures or foundations. It is also used in civil engineering to analyze the bearing capacity and settlement of shallow foundations.

3. What is load per unit area in Boussinesq theory?

Load per unit area, also known as the Boussinesq load, refers to the distribution of a load applied on a small area over a larger area of a semi-infinite elastic medium. It is used as an input parameter in the equations of Boussinesq theory to calculate the stresses and displacements at a given point.

4. What are the limitations of Boussinesq theory?

Boussinesq theory has limitations in its assumptions of a homogeneous and isotropic medium, which may not accurately represent real-world conditions. It also does not consider the effects of time and non-linear behavior of the medium. In addition, it is only applicable for shallow foundations and cannot be used for deep foundations or other complex geometries.

5. How does Boussinesq theory differ from other soil mechanics theories?

Boussinesq theory differs from other soil mechanics theories, such as Terzaghi's theory, in its assumption of an elastic medium. Terzaghi's theory considers both the elastic and plastic behavior of soil, making it more suitable for analyzing the behavior of soil under large and long-lasting loads. However, Boussinesq theory is simpler and more computationally efficient, making it a popular choice for quick and preliminary analyses.