Energy per unit area of EM wave

In summary, to find the average rate at which energy is carried across a unit area per unit time by an electromagnetic wave with a peak E field of 22.8 mV/m, you can use the equation S = e_0*c*E^2, where e_0 = 8.85*10^-12, c = 3*10^8, and E = 0.0228 V/m. This results in a value of 1.380E-6 W/m^2, which is the incorrect answer. To find the correct answer, you need to divide the peak E field by Sqrt(2) to get the average value, and then use that value in the equation to calculate the
x^2

Homework Statement

The E field in an EM wave has a peak of 22.8 mV/m. What is the average rate at which this wave carries energy across unit area per unit time?

Homework Equations

S = e_0*c*E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

where e_0 = 8.85*10^-12
c = 3*10^8
E = 0.0228 V/m

S = (8.85E-12)*(3*10^8)*(0.0228)^2 = 1.38017E-6 W/m^2

Hello,

I trying finding the Poynting vector S using the equation e_0*c*E^2 as I have all the needed values. This produces an answer of 1.380E-6 W/m^2 which was incorrect. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks,
x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Got it... I have to divide the peak of the E field by Sqrt(2) to get the RMS or the average value so I can find the average energy.

Thanks for such a great resource!
x^2

Dear x^2,

The equation you used, S = e_0*c*E^2, is the correct equation for calculating the Poynting vector, which represents the energy per unit time per unit area carried by an EM wave. However, the value you used for the electric field, 0.0228 V/m, is not the peak value as stated in the problem. The peak value is 22.8 mV/m, which is equal to 0.0228 V/m. Therefore, the correct calculation would be:

S = (8.85E-12)*(3*10^8)*(0.0228*10^-3)^2 = 1.380E-6 W/m^2

Note that in the calculation, the electric field value is converted to SI units (mV to V and m to m^-3). This small conversion factor may have been the reason for the incorrect answer. Always make sure to use the correct units in your calculations.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Best,

What is energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave?

Energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave refers to the amount of energy carried by an electromagnetic wave at a specific point in space. It is commonly measured in units of joules per square meter (J/m²).

How is the energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave calculated?

The energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave can be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the magnetic field strength and dividing by the impedance of free space (377 ohms). The formula is E = c * B / Z, where E is the energy per unit area, c is the speed of light, B is the magnetic field strength, and Z is the impedance of free space.

What is the relationship between energy per unit area and amplitude of an electromagnetic wave?

The energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy per unit area also increases.

How does the energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave change as it propagates through space?

The energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave decreases as it propagates through space because the wave spreads out over a larger area. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the energy per unit area is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

Why is the energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave important?

The energy per unit area of an electromagnetic wave is important because it determines the intensity of the wave, which can have significant impacts on various systems and technologies. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.