1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Box sliding on 35 degree grade

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    A box slides down a frictionless plane that makes an angle of 35 degrees with the horizontal. A horizontal force of half the box's weight presses the box against the plane. What is the box's acceleration?

I'm confused as to what kind of effect would a horizontal force have on an object sliding on a grade? I'm not really sure how to do this problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    I don't understand what this problem is saying, because any object you put on a frictionless 35 degree incline will always accelerate at the same rate regardless of mass. Is the horizontal force you're talking about an extra force being applied to the block by something else?

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    The posed question is the question in its entirety...and off of a test at that.

5. Oct 10, 2012 #4

lewando

Gold Member

Start by drawing (and posting) the free body diagram.

6. Oct 10, 2012 #5
    Here 'tis. I wasn't exactly sure what the horizontal force was...
    http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8639/problem4l.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Oct 10, 2012 #6

lewando

Gold Member

The horizontal force should be applied horizontally. There will be a normal reaction force in response to this horizontal force.

mg is a force and there will be a normal reaction force to this as well.

Total of 4 forces. Your FF looks wrong. As well as your mg cosθ and mg sinθ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook