Boyle's Law - Experiment Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's experiment on Boyle's Law using an upside down syringe and adding masses to measure the gas column. The student suggests using a longer but thinner syringe for the experiment and there is a discussion on whether this would be advantageous. The equations and uncertainties involved in the experiment are also mentioned. Ultimately, the student is seeking assistance in determining if the longer/thinner syringe would be beneficial overall.
charlottexo
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help me on this quick question I have.

Homework Statement

A student does an experiment to investigate Boyle's Law by adding masses onto the bottom of an upside down syringe and measuring the length of the gas column in the syringe. Force is calculated from the masses using an equation, and logF is plotted against logL on a graph.

The student suggests that using a longer but thinner syringe (with the same unloaded volume), would be an advantage experiment. Discuss whether you agree with this notion.

Homework Equations

F = (P0 x A) - Mg, where M is the added mass, A is the cross-sectional area of the syringe and P0 is atmospheric pressure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I definitely know that the longer/thinner syringe would give rise to greater values of L, and so the uncertainty in L will be reduced.

However, the uncertainty in A would increase, as the cross sectional area is smaller. This introduces more uncertainty in the force.

My query mainly is that, would it be an advantage overall? Given that L is measured using a standard metre rule, and A is given to us (measured using vernier callipers). Given also that A only needs to be measured once and L is measured multiple times, which presents more opportunity for uncertainty.

I would think that having a factor of higher uncertainty in A would be less of an issue, as the uncertainty is quite low to start with and so, the overall uncertainty in the experiment would be less with a longer/thinner syringe.

I definitely know like I said, that uncertainty in L is reduced so there is an advantage with those measurements. Can anyone perhaps help me expand on this though?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using V = πD2L/4, compute dV/V in terms of dD/D and dL/L. This gives you the fractional error in V given fractional errors in L and D. Then use worst-case or root-mean-square assumption to make your decision.

Hint: think limiting case where D << L.

Thanks for the reply but er... that seems a bit beyond me I think. I'm doing UK A-level Physics so basically it's meant to be an easy common sense answer really, and it is worth 2 marks.

I think it just wants a general comment, and I'm pretty sure half of that comment is, reduced uncertainty in measurement of L.

I then need to make another point and say, overall it is an advantage/disadvantage to use a longer/thinner syringe.

What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a fundamental gas law that describes the relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas. It states that, at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure.

What is the experiment question for Boyle's Law?

The experiment question for Boyle's Law is: How does the change in pressure affect the volume of a gas at a constant temperature?

What materials are needed for a Boyle's Law experiment?

The materials needed for a Boyle's Law experiment include a gas source (such as a syringe or balloon), a pressure gauge, a ruler or measuring tape, and a container to hold the gas.

How do you conduct a Boyle's Law experiment?

To conduct a Boyle's Law experiment, you will need to set up your materials and measure the initial volume and pressure of the gas. Then, change the pressure of the gas by either compressing or expanding the container and record the new volume and pressure. Repeat this process several times, and then plot your data on a graph to see the inverse relationship between pressure and volume.

What are some real-life applications of Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law has many real-life applications, such as in scuba diving, where the change in pressure affects the volume of air in a diver's tank. It is also used in the operation of gas-filled balloons and in the compression of gases in aerosol cans. Understanding Boyle's Law is crucial in many other fields, including chemistry, engineering, and meteorology.