1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bra-ket notation and other linear algebra stuff

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    forgive the messiness; i take bad notes in class.

http://i.imgur.com/VmW8Ubg.jpg

towards the middle of the page where it says "this is equivalent to..." and then my professor wrote what follows but i thought the row vector should be complex conjugates? ie, the red writings are not actually part of the notes, i just wrote them because i was confused as to why they weren't there.

http://i.imgur.com/5zGGBe3.jpg

towards the bottom right, where it has a(hermitian)IbI, which are all matrices by the way, i don't understand where the second 'I' (unit matrix) came from (where i stated my confusion in the notes).

btw, does anyone know how to shrink an image when i do ['img']link['/img']? sometimes these images are too large

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2
    Your first remark is correct. They should be complex conjugates.

For the second part if you have numbers like [tex]a\cdot u^{-1} \cdot u \cdot b[/tex].
    Than you get [tex]a\cdot 1\cdot b[/tex]. you can freely multiply this entire expression with 1.

I believe the second unit matrix is added to convert the vector b in the transposed vector b since otherwise you have the product of 2 column vectors.

4. Jan 18, 2014 #3
    towards the bottom of the page where i wrote "where'd this one come from?", to the RHS of that, i have 'ab'.

but if this is to become < a | b > , then shouldn't the 'a' in 'ab' be hermitian?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted