Dimension, Image, Kernels etc - Linear Algebra stuff

In summary, the dimension of the kernel of T is m-n+1 and the dimension of the range of T is n, where m is the degree of the polynomials and n is the number of distinct points in R. The kernel will have dimension 0 if m+1 is less than or equal to n, and the image will have dimension m+1 in that case.
kehler
Does linear algebra go in this thread??
Anyway,

Homework Statement

Let n be an integer at least 1, and x1,...,xn be distinct points in R. For any integer m>=1, let P denote the vector space of polynomials of degree at most m. Define a linear transformation T:P->R^n by
[f(x1)]
[f(x2)]
T(f)= [ . ] <--- (That's meant to be one big bracket)
[ . ]
[ . ]
[f(xn)]

What is the dimension of the kernel of T? What is the dimension of the range of T? (your answer will depend on m and n)

Homework Equations

dim V = dim I am + dim ker

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I've considered the case when n>m. In this case, dim V= m+1 and dim ker = 0 as it's not possible for any polynomial of degree m+1 to have more than m roots. So I find that dim I am = m+1.
Now for m>=n, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Is the dimension of the kernel m-1 cos there can be m-1 roots?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Argh it messed up my bracket.
Well T(f) is meant to be
[f(x1)]
[f(x2)]
[f(x3)] <- it's meant to be a single long bracket extending downwards
[...]
[...]
[...]
[f(xn)]

So T(f) maps f into (f(x1), f(x2), f(x3)...)?

Okay, f is in the kernel of T if and only if f(x1)= 0, f(x2)= 0, ...

(y1, y2, y3, ...) is in the image of T if and only if there exist a polynomial f such that f(x1)= y1) f(x2)= y2, ...

Yea that's right. So when m>n, the polynomial will have m roots. In this case is the dimension of the kernel 1 and the dimension of the image m? I'm kinda confuse about how I can tell what the dimension is.
(The dimension just means the number of vectors in the basis)

I'd like to clarify something here. Does the transformation T operate only on (x1,x2...xn) where all the xi's are distinct? Suppose for eg. m=2, then f(x) has two roots and the vectors in ker(T) are of the form (x1,x2,x1,x1...) <-any permutation of x1 and x2, which grows to an exponentially large number.

Defennder said:
I'd like to clarify something here. Does the transformation T operate only on (x1,x2...xn) where all the xi's are distinct? Suppose for eg. m=2, then f(x) has two roots and the vectors in ker(T) are of the form (x1,x2,x1,x1...) <-any permutation of x1 and x2, which grows to an exponentially large number.

The transformation T operates on polynomials. I'm going to assume that x1, x2, etc. are distinct.

For example, suppose [itex]x_1= 0[/itex], [itex]x_2= 1[/itex] and m= 2 so P is the vector space of polynomials of order at most 2.

Then T(p(x))= (p(0), p(1)). The kernel is the subspace of all such polynomials such that p(0)= 0, p(1)= 0. Since p(x)= a+ bx+ cx2, p(0)= a= 0 and p(1)= b+ c= 0. Since c= -b, we are free to choose b and then a= 0, c= -b so the kernel has dimension 1. Since P itself has dimension 3, it follows that the image of T has dimension 2.

More generally, P has dimension m+ 1. Setting P(x1)= 0, ..., P(xn)= 0, we have n equations for those m+ 1 variables. That should leave m+1- n independent variables so it looks to me like the kernel of T has dimension m-n+1 and the image has dimension m+1- (m-n+1)= n.

Of course, that's not a proof and may be completely wrong.

That seems correct :). But what if m+1<n? The kernel can't have a negative dimension, can it?

If that is the case, then we have more points than we have coefficients: but we will still have the trivial polynomial, p(x)= 0 for all x. The smallest the kernel can be is the 0 vector only and that has dimension 0. As long as [itex]m+1\le n[/itex], the kernel will have dimension 0 and the image will have dimension m+1.

1. What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that space. It represents the minimum number of vectors needed to span the entire space. For example, the dimension of a 3-dimensional space is 3, as it can be spanned by 3 linearly independent vectors.

2. How do you find the image of a linear transformation?

The image of a linear transformation is the set of all possible outputs when the transformation is applied to every vector in the domain. To find the image, you can apply the transformation to a basis for the domain and use the resulting vectors as a basis for the image. Alternatively, you can use the column space of the matrix representing the linear transformation to find the image.

3. What are kernels in linear algebra?

Kernels, also known as null spaces, are the set of all vectors in the domain that are mapped to the zero vector in the range by a linear transformation. In other words, they are the inputs that result in an output of zero. Kernels are important in linear algebra as they help us understand the behavior of linear transformations and can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

4. Can a matrix have more than one kernel?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple kernels. This occurs when the matrix has more columns than rows, resulting in a non-square matrix. In this case, the number of kernels is equal to the number of free variables in the corresponding system of linear equations.

5. How does linear algebra relate to machine learning?

Linear algebra is the foundation of many machine learning algorithms. It is used to represent and manipulate data, as well as to create and optimize models. For example, matrices and vectors are used to represent data points and features, while linear transformation and eigenvectors are used to perform dimensionality reduction and feature extraction. Additionally, linear algebra is used in optimization techniques such as gradient descent, which is commonly used in machine learning algorithms.