1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential of an operator into bra-ket notation

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is to evaluate the expression e^-iA, where A is a Hermitian operator whose eigenvalues are known (but not given) using bra-ket algebra.

2. Relevant equations

See above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been looking around, reading the textbook and course notes, checking the web and so on. I have learned that an expression in this form is a 'unitary operator', and what that means.

I'm pretty comfortable with the bra-ket notation, but I'm struggling just to *get into it*. ;-)

If you can help me find a 'way in' to get started, that'd be great: at this point I'm still just kinda staring blankly at it, despite all my efforts so far.

Oh, yeah, I overhead another student mention using a Taylor series. I get how to convert the exponential to a Taylor series, but I'm not so sure how it helps... and the other student might be wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Bravus! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    I think they mean if A|xn> = λn |xn>,

then what is e-iA|∑anxn> ? :smile:

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the tip on the nicenesses allowed by the forum software - so nice after spending time answering math and physics questions on 'Yahoo Answers' and having to struggle with all-text!

Not sure the answer is giving me a way in, though: maybe I'm just thick. The question definitely just says 'evaluate e-iA'.

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bravus! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

but anyway, what is e-iA|∑anxn> ? :smile:

6. Mar 11, 2012 #5
    Thanks, and the hint is definitely a handy one. It's Mr Taylor and his Series that really gets the job done in this instance, though...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook