Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to solve the brachistochrone problem on a spherical surface using the Lagrangian method. After applying the Euler-Lagrange equation, two equations are obtained but the conversation ends with uncertainty on how to solve them. Potential solutions include eliminating a variable or using a change of variable. However, attempts with Mathematica have not been successful.
TimJ
1. The problem statement

I'm trying to solve the brachistochrone problem between two points on the surface of a sphere.

2. The attempt at a solution

The Lagrangian for this problem in spherical coordinates is
[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}m \left(r^2 \left (\frac{d \theta}{dt}\right)^2+r^2 \sin^2(\theta) \left(\frac{d \phi}{dt}\right)^2\right)-mgr\cos(\theta)
[/tex]

After applying the Euler-Lagrange equation we get:

For [tex] \theta [/tex]:

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\frac{d \theta}{dt})} = m r^2\frac{d \theta}{dt}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} = m r^2 \left(\frac{d \phi}{dt}\right)^2 \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta) + mg r \sin(\theta) [/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} - \frac{d}{dt} \left ( \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\frac{d \theta}{dt})} \right ) = 0 \;\; \Rightarrow \;\;
m r^2 \left(\frac{d \phi}{dt}\right)^2 \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta) + mg r \sin(\theta) -
m r^2 \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}=0
[/tex]

For [tex] \phi[/tex]:

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = 0 \;\; \Rightarrow \;\; \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\frac{d \phi}{dt})}=m r^2 \sin^2(\theta) \frac{d \phi}{dt}= const.[/tex]

Now we have two equations:

[tex]
\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}-\frac{g}{r}\sin(\theta)-\sin(\theta) \cos(\theta) \left(\frac{d \phi}{dt}\right)^2=0
[/tex]

and

[tex]
m r^2 \sin^2(\theta) \frac{d \phi}{dt}= const. = A
[/tex]

And here is where it stopped. I don't know how to solve this two equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two things I first observe about that pair of equations is:
(1) It's easy to eliminate one of the variables
(2) A change of variable could help simplify things

Then I get this equation:

[tex]
\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}-\frac{g}{r}\sin(\theta)-
\frac{A^2 \cos(\theta)}{(m r^2)^2 \sin^3(\theta) }=0
[/tex]

I tried to solve it with Mathematica, but i didn't get a result.

1. What is the Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere?

The Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest path between two points on the surface of a sphere under the influence of gravity. It is also known as the "curve of quickest descent" and was first proposed by Johann Bernoulli in 1696.

2. How is the Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere different from the Brachistochrone on a plane?

The Brachistochrone on a plane assumes a constant gravitational force and a flat surface, while the Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere takes into account the varying gravitational force and curvature of the surface. This makes the problem more complex and challenging to solve.

3. What is the significance of the Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere?

The Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can help in determining the most efficient path for a spacecraft to travel from one point to another in space, or for a rollercoaster to follow in an amusement park.

4. How is the Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere solved?

The Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere is solved using the calculus of variations, a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the path that minimizes a given functional. This involves setting up an energy equation and using the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the shortest path.

5. What are some real-world examples of the Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere?

Some real-world examples of the Brachistochrone on the surface of a sphere include the path of a rocket from Earth to Mars, the trajectory of a satellite in orbit, and the path of a rollercoaster on a spherical track. It can also be applied to the motion of fluids and particles on a curved surface.