1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Braking distance of a car(forces and friction)

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the driver of a 1500 kg car travelling at 12.5 m/s slams on the brakes, locking the wheels, and bringing the car to a stop. If the coefficient of friction is .735, what is the braking distance of the car?

2. Relevant equations
    W = K_f - K_i
    friction force

3. The attempt at a solution
    K_f = (1/2)(1500)(12.5)^2 = 117187.5
    K_i = 0
    W = 117187.5

F_n = 14700
    friction force = 14700 * .735 = 10804.5

distance = 117187.5/10804.5 = 10.84m
    correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, chaotiiic,

The result is correct.

ehild

4. Feb 15, 2012 #3
    i cant find this in my book but why does normal force need to be multiplied with friction coefficient in order to get friction force? does friction force have a unit?

and why does Work need to be divided by friction force in order to get the distance? is there a name for this equation?

5. Feb 15, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The force of friction is proportional with the force that presses two surfaces together. This force is normal to the surface of touch, parallel with it and opposes any relative motion of the objects. It is a force, so the unit is newton (N) There is kinetic friction, when the surfaces slide on each other, and static friction which prevents any relative motion. The magnitude of kinetic friction is FKKN, the static friction is the force needed to prevent relative motion, and FS≤μSN.

Work is defined as the scalar product of the force vector F and displacement vector d. If the force and displacement are parallel, W=Fd. The work is positive when the force and displacement have the same direction, and negative when the force points in opposite direction as the motion.

You certainly find these in your textbook...

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook