Braking with one caliper out of four

• Automotive
  • Thread starter billiards_guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Braking
In summary: I was able to correct for the sudden loss of braking by steering the car back into its desired path by leaning on the wheel. In summary, a single caliper on the rear of a car driving through a differential needs no correction so long as wheels don't slip, but single caliper on leading or trailing point of a diamond shaped configuration needs no correction, while any one corner of a conventional four-cornered rectangular configuration needs a correction.
billiards_guy
I debated with a friend tonight, and I need some unbiased input.

We were talking with a 3rd party that states that they only have one *working* brake caliper, of four. Assertion #1. (Basic four wheeled vehicle)

3rd party also states that there is no correction in steering needed, when braking, at any given speed. Assertion #2.

Party A, believes that a scenario exists where an improper alignment combined with a only single caliper working will result in no correction needed.

Party B, believes that regardless of any misalignment that a correction will have to be made at the moment of braking.

Sorry for wasting your time in this trivial matter, but would anyone mind weighing in? The more explanation the better, one party is a trained mechanic, the other party a physics dabbler.
Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends: single caliper braking single solid axle needs no correction; single caliper on prop shaft driving through a differential needs no correction so long as wheels don't slip; single caliper on leading or trailing point of a diamond shaped configuration needs no correction; any one corner of a conventional four-cornered rectangular configuration?

Bystander said:
single caliper braking single solid axle needs no correction;

I'm not sure if you understood the problem ? sorry if you did

only one brake out of 4 working ... not an axle with only a single brake

I in my practical experience, on say, front wheels ( car), if only one is working, or is clamping harder than the other one, then the vehicle will strongly pull in the direction of the stronger working brake, which means you have to "oversteer" in the other direction to counter the brake pull

Not sure about rear wheel braking and the effect there, I haven't experienced that.
Suspect that it wouldn't be as dramatic as on front brakingD

Assuming a conventional rear wheel drive car, if only one of the front tires is braking, that will create a steering torque that would normally be opposed by braking at the other front tire, resulting in the car tending to steer in the direction of the braking tire, requiring the driver to compensate.

If a car has an open differential, that will allow the rear tires to rotate at different speeds without tire slippage, although the drivetrain (engine, transmission, driveshaft, ...) may change speeds. In this case, if only one rear wheel is braking that will also tend to steer the car into the direction of the braking tire, but the effect isn't as strong as single front tire braking. A limited slip differential would reduce this effect.

Likes davenn
We'd need some more details but it sounds like driver, conditions and / or vehicle are non-standard (?). What speeds and what surface. What test was used to determine that only one calliper was working? Does "working" mean it squeezed the disc or does it mean that, despite high pedal pressure, all but one wheel could rotate?

davenn said:
I'm not sure if you understood the problem ? sorry if you did

only one brake out of 4 working ... not an axle with only a single brake

I in my practical experience, on say, front wheels ( car), if only one is working, or is clamping harder than the other one, then the vehicle will strongly pull in the direction of the stronger working brake, which means you have to "oversteer" in the other direction to counter the brake pullD
That effect is what is relied upon when differential braking via 'toe brakes' is being used to steer aircraft when they taxi into position on the airfield.

Brake caliper not working on the rear brakes should not cause steering overload requiring steering correction. Typically dirt track race cars have a brake fluid shut off valve that kills the right front brake caliper ( left hand turn race track). The driver shuts off the right front brake when the dirt track condition makes the right front too overloaded. The left front snap turns the car. You WILL notice the brake pulling and have to correct with the steering wheel as the steering will want to pull the tires away from neutral ( going straight ) direction.
never do this on pavement on a standard production car.

I can tell you from experience exactly what happens when the brakes fail on one side of a car. These were drum brakes, and the brake cylinders had a habit of rusting and locking the pistons in place, with the result of no braking on that wheel. When a rear brake failed, I barely noticed. The car was a $60 rustmobile, so I ignored what I barely noticed. Then the front brake on that side failed. I noticed that when I stepped on the brakes, and the car suddenly swerved left. A hard correction on the steering wheel, combined with easing off the brakes kept me in the traffic lane. Honing all brake cylinders and new piston seals fixed it.

On another occasion, I had one brake fail during a night landing in an early model Beech Bonanza. Airplanes have separate brake systems for each of the two main wheels. The solution was to steer hard right, and brake left just enough to keep it straight. The passengers did not notice anything until after it was parked and I told them.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
billiards_guy said:
3rd party also states that there is no correction in steering needed, when braking, at any given speed. Assertion #2.
I am surprised that a 'trained mechanic' would be experimenting with brakes in that state at all. Isn't the rule that any brake fault should sorted out? Even if the experiment were off-road there are unnecessary risks involved.
I remember when a number of productioncars had double braking circuits - each diagonal pair being supplied by one of the circuits. That implies something.

up until the mid 1960s the prodcution cars had a single master cylinder. With popularity of the disc brakes (usually on front only) two separate master cylinder reservoirs were used. One for the disc front and one for the brake drum/shoe rear brakes. This was a safety feature even though differrnt pressures were required to active the two types.
in racing you never mess with safety items..too risky.

What is "Braking with one caliper out of four"?

"Braking with one caliper out of four" refers to a braking system in which only one of the four calipers on a vehicle is functioning properly. This can happen due to a malfunction or damage to one of the calipers, resulting in uneven braking power.

What are the dangers of driving with one caliper out of four?

Driving with one caliper out of four can be dangerous as it can lead to uneven braking and longer stopping distances. This can increase the risk of accidents, especially in emergency situations. It can also put extra strain on the functioning caliper, leading to potential damage and costly repairs.

How can I tell if one of my calipers is not working?

There are a few signs that may indicate a malfunctioning caliper, such as uneven braking, pulling to one side while braking, or a burning smell coming from the brakes. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to have your vehicle inspected by a mechanic to determine the cause.

Can I continue to drive with one caliper out of four?

It is not recommended to continue driving with one caliper out of four. As mentioned, it can be dangerous and put extra strain on the functioning caliper. It is best to have the issue addressed as soon as possible to ensure safe and efficient braking.

How can I prevent one caliper from going out?

Regular maintenance and inspections of your vehicle's braking system can help prevent a caliper from going out. It is also important to address any warning signs or unusual behavior from your brakes as soon as possible. If you notice any issues, have your vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic to catch and fix any problems early on.