Breaking Bad Pizza Throw Physics Calculation.

In summary, The speaker is a graphic designer working on a science-based poster about a famous pizza throw in Breaking Bad. They do not have a physics background, but have attempted to calculate the force required to throw the pizza onto a roof, using limited information and assumptions. They plan to include this calculation in the poster design.
bala_phy
Disclaimers: I am a graphic designer working with science popularisers to make interesting posters/designs based on science. Apart from High School physics (which was more than 10 years ago) I do not have a physics background so part 2 and 3 (equations and attempt at a solution) might be blank. Please bear with me.

Homework Statement

We are making a poster about the famous Pizza throw in Breaking Bad season 1.
AH1eBPR.jpg

Remembering what little I could about projectiles, this is the tentative design proposal I came up with.
OltS5pZ.jpg

But I thought it would be great if I could actually calculate the force required to throw a party pizza onto the roof and include that in the graphic somehow.

From what I can tell the pizza might be approx 3kg (it is huge)

Height at which pizza lands from the ground is approx 2.5 meters.

Horizontal distance between Walter and the Pizza landing spot is approx 3 meters

Maximum vertical height of pizza is say 3 meters.

Total time taken from launch to landing is say 1.5 seconds.

I am guessing these are all the relevant variables needed.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help. It would be much appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice poster, good luck with it! The force required to throw the pizza all exists during the motion of the throwers hand and arm from its low start position to the release point of the pizza , say about a meter and a half. The average force during that distance can be calculated when you know the release velocity , and the force will be directed along the release angle, theta, tangent to the initial path of the curve. You should show it that way. I think when you gave distance above ground you meant distance above the hand at release, since the thrower,s hand could be in itself 2 meters above ground. I am not sure why you want to assign a value to it instead of just labeling it as F, but it might be on the order of 100 N directed at about theta = 75 degrees above the horizontal, based on your numbers.

1. How much force was applied to the pizza in the Breaking Bad pizza throw scene?

The force applied to the pizza in the Breaking Bad scene can be calculated by using the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. Assuming the pizza has a mass of 0.5 kg and was thrown at a speed of 10 m/s, the force applied would be 5 Newtons.

2. What was the velocity of the pizza in the Breaking Bad scene?

The velocity of the pizza can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. In the scene, the pizza travels approximately 3 meters in 0.3 seconds, so the velocity would be 10 m/s.

3. How far did the pizza travel in the Breaking Bad scene?

The distance traveled by the pizza can be calculated using the formula d=vt, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time. In the scene, the pizza travels for 0.3 seconds at a velocity of 10 m/s, so the distance traveled would be 3 meters.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of the pizza in the Breaking Bad scene?

The trajectory of the pizza is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity and angle at which it is thrown, air resistance, and gravity. In the scene, the pizza was thrown with a high initial velocity and at a low angle, resulting in a relatively straight trajectory.

5. How accurate is the pizza throw physics in the Breaking Bad scene?

The physics of the pizza throw in the Breaking Bad scene is relatively accurate. However, there are certain factors that may have been overlooked for the sake of dramatic effect, such as air resistance and the weight distribution of the pizza. Additionally, the exact calculations may vary depending on the specific details of the scene, such as the mass and velocity of the pizza.