Breaking Down the 2016 POTUS Race Contenders & Issues

In summary, the top contenders for the 2016 US Presidential Election are Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, and Bernie Sanders. The major issues that are being discussed are the lack of qualifications of the contenders, their stances on jailing all of the other candidates, and the stances of each candidate on various issues.
IMO, the DNC email revelations have changed everything. If the Clinton nomination/Democratic convention is to be salvaged, Bernie must be on the ticket.Latest polling:

According to a CNN/ORC poll:

- Donald Trump leads Hillary Clinton, 48 percent-45 percent.

- Trump leads Clinton, 44 percent-39 percent. Libertarian Gary Johnson and Green Party candidate Jill Stein trail both at 9 percent and 3 percent, respectively.

According to an LA Times/USC poll:

- Trump leads Clinton, 45 percent-41 percent.

According to a CBS News poll:

- Trump leads Clinton, 44 percent-43 percent.

- Trump leads Clinton, 40 percent-39 percent. Johnson trails both at 12 percent.

According to an Economist/YouGov poll:

- Clinton leads Trump, 47 percent-42 percent.

- Clinton leads Trump, 40 percent-38 percent. Johnson and Stein trail both at 5 percent and 3 percent, respectively.

So a major shift in favor of Trump coincidentally after Clinton chose her running mate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dotini said:
IMO, the DNC email revelations have changed everything. If the Clinton nomination/Democratic convention is to be salvaged, Bernie must be on the ticket.Latest polling:
Trump is enjoying what is known as a
convention bump", not much, overall, Trump average is 44.3, Clinton is 44.1

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

With Sanders throwing in with Clinton now, we'll see.

I can imagine what an e-mail hack of Trump would do. It hasn't changed my mind at all, from what I've been reading, it hasn't changed the minds of many people. The fact that the Russians fear Clinton enough to want to get Trump into office says it all. Watching now on tv the experts say no doubt the fingerprints clearly show it was from Russian intelligence. It should scare anyone into voting for Clinton, IMO. The Russians want Trump, per watching the news, sorry no link to that yet, live broadcast, I'm sure we'll have it in writing in the next day or two.

Here's a link. http://abcnews.go.com/International/reasonable-doubt-russians-hacked-dnc-analyst/story?id=40863292

Last edited:
Dotini said:
IMO, the DNC email revelations have changed everything. If the Clinton nomination/Democratic convention is to be salvaged, Bernie must be on the ticket.
I doubt that will matter to many people. I would expect that most people assume the "establishment" of their party does its best to get their favored candidate nominated. For my part, I preferred McCain over Bush in the Republican primary in 2000 and while I was annoyed by my perception that the "establishment" supported Bush over McCain I voted for Bush in the general election anyway.

Likes Evo
russ_watters said:
I doubt that will matter to many people. I would expect that most people assume the "establishment" of their party does its best to get their favored candidate nominated. For my part, I preferred McCain over Bush in the Republican primary in 2000 and while I was annoyed by my perception that the "establishment" supported Bush over McCain I voted for Bush in the general election anyway.
I voted Bush, I just felt he was the best choice. I will always vote what I feel is the best choice. And that includes the VP. When McCain went up against Obama and chose Palin, it was worse than choosing Bozo the clown.

The start of day one.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/us/politics/dnc-speakers-protests-sanders.html?_r=0
Democrats were supposed to be forging a unified front this week to take on Donald J. Trump, the Republican nominee. But instead, more than 1,000 supporters of Mr. Sanders took to the scalding streets of Philadelphia to vent their frustration, with some adopting a Republican rallying cry about Mrs. Clinton: “Lock her up!”

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-idUSKCN105101
Trump gloated at the Democrats' opening day disorder.

"Wow, the Republican Convention went so smoothly compared to the Dems total mess," he wrote on Twitter.

Great entertainment.

NAIROBI (Reuters) - "President Barack Obama's half-brother, Malik Obama, says he will vote for Republican nominee Donald Trump in the U.S. election in November because he likes the candidate and he is unhappy with his brother's leadership."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/obamas-brother-says-vote-trump-111755691.html

Malik, a U.S. citizen, has lived in Washington since 1985 where he worked with various firms before becoming an independent financial consultant.

He criticized President Obama's record in the White House saying he had not done much for the American people and his extended family despite the high expectations that accompanied his election in 2008, both in the United States and Kenya.

Evo said:
A few nuts not allowed inside the convention, considering the numbers in the convention.
I've been watching the Democratic convention, WOW, I've been brought to tears several times, awesome!

DNC chair will no longer speak at her party's convention after damaging email revelations
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/dnc-chair-no-longer-speak-161024338.html
"Well, I think it's outrageous, but it is not a great shock to me. I think, as I said, it's what we talked about six months ago," Sanders told CNN on Sunday. "I mean, there's no question to my mind and I think no question to any objective observer's mind that the DNC was supporting Hillary Clinton, was in opposition to our campaign."

The leak is certain to http://hsrd.yahoo.com/RV=1/RE=1470710734/RH=aHNyZC55YWhvby5jb20-/RB=/RU=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5idXNpbmVzc2luc2lkZXIuY29tL2RlbW9jcmF0cy11bml0ZWQtY29udmVudGlvbi1zYW5kZXJzLTIwMTYtNwA-/RS=%5EADAmBuTCWeIUCNW5r0dJByA1c5VwhI- and Sanders supporters as the party attempts to unify itself this week at the Philadelphia convention.
This morning I heard members of the Florida delegation, ostensibly Sanders supporters, jeering/booing Wasserman Schultz. Later this afternoon, I heard reports of Clinton's name receiving jeers/boos from some convention members, again apparently Sanders supporters, but also some opposed to TPP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michele Obama's speech was incredible. It will be something that will be spread around, maybe Trump's wife will want her speech writer to check it out. Also the speech by Sen. Cory Baker, I think he will be the next Presidential candidate, I cried, heck I'd vote for him now. It looked like he made Bill Clinton cry.

Evo said:
The Russians want Trump, per watching the news, sorry no link to that yet, live broadcast,
only 51 seconds

this one is ~ 5 minutes, first 1:49 , and 3:28 thru end are worth the time.

here's a snip of the end
PutinOnTrump.jpg

i fixed my inappropriate link in post 794 , if anybody was curious .

Likes OCR, 1oldman2 and RonL
Evo said:
I've been watching the Democratic convention, WOW, I've been brought to tears several times, awesome!

Were you crying because Bernie was outted as a fraud or because they shamelessly paraded out a girl in a wheelchair?

Michelle did an excellent job though, I'll give you that.

A quote popular from the days of R. Nixon keeps coming to mind as our latest political crisis unfolds, "What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

Rick21383 said:
Were you crying because Bernie was outted as a fraud or because they shamelessly paraded out a girl in a wheelchair?
I don't like Bernie, and I don't know what you're talking about., nor do I care. I missed the girl. What's wrong with handicapped people?

Michelle did an excellent job though, I'll give you that.[/QUOTE]So did Sen. Cory Baker.

jim hardy said:
i fixed my inappropriate link in post 794 , if anybody was curious .

Well, that's no fun. Now I don't know what was inappropriate about it because you fixed it.

DiracPool said:
I don't know what was inappropriate about it because you fixed it.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...contenders-issues.831913/page-40#post-5527522

It cited an article that appeared in "The Washington Examiner" which is a niche journal not a mainstream source.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Examiner
The target market for the weekly magazine is the "45,000 government, public affairs, advocacy, academia and political professionals in Washington, DC, and state capitals."[2]

The Examiner has a politically active audience. The Examiner's readership was found to be more likely to sign a petition, contact a politician, attend a political rally, or participate in a government advocacy group than the readerships of other political publications including The Weekly Standard, Roll Call, Politico, and The Hill.[8]

The Examiner has a high earning and highly educated audience with 26% holding a master's or postgraduate degree and a large percentage earning over $500,000 annually, likely to be working in executive or senior management positions.[8]

.. found their source and used it instead.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

Likes CalcNerd
jim hardy said:
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

Ha, see, now I'm the wiser. The upstream water does taste a little sweeter.

Evo said:
I don't like Bernie, and I don't know what you're talking about., nor do I care. I missed the girl. What's wrong with handicapped people?

Michelle did an excellent job though, I'll give you that.

That was directed more at the convention itself rather than you personally. But the fact that you said you were in tears proves the point... that their game plan was to go all out on emotional manipulation.

The fact that they paraded out a crippled immigrant like a puppet, script and all, for the sole purpose of gaining sympathy, is beyond pathetic in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with handicapped people... there is something very wrong with taking advantage of one for a political agenda, which is exactly what they did.

I'm not a fan of Bernie either. But I find it hilarious that Hillary thought she'd be able to buy him off and snatch his supporters. She did successfully buy him off, but the vast majority of his supporters are irate... especially after the email leak.

Is it just me, or does this Anthony Wiener guy just give you the creeps? He seems like a tense powder keg that's going to explode at any second:

DiracPool said:
Ha, see, now I'm the wiser. The upstream water does taste a little sweeter.
But you miss out on all the sweet tea nutrients that the cows developed :woot::eek:

RonL said:
But you miss out on all the sweet tea nutrients that the cows developed

Kind of like the good bacteria you get in store-bought lowfat yogurt?

Likes RonL
RonL said:
But you miss out on... nutrients that the cows developed

not to mention the bulls...

Likes RonL
I'm voting for Hillary Clinton, how about you? I know Jim is voting for Trump.

I think I actually voted for Hillary in 2008, but I don't remember

Inappropriate source... ...Not a mainstream source.[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]:oldlaugh:
DiracPool said:
I know Jim is voting for Trump.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
I'm voting for an originalist to supreme court
and against WW3

VoteHillary.jpg

apologies to garyvarvel for replacing his caption

Likes RonL, Dotini, DiracPool and 1 other person
Donald Trump encourages Russia to hack Hillary Clinton!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-hack-hillary-clinton/index.html

lol when will the libs learn. It's starting to look like Trump is playing 3-D chess and they're playing tic tac toe. Once again he's dominating the news cycle because this will SURELY be his undoing! (unlike the other 1000 times this has been said)

and, once again, liberals will be screeching "OMG did he really say that?!"

Edit: deleted old link not part of current news or campaign.

I can't believe they think this is a smart attack angle for them. They keep getting dumber as the desparation grows.

Rick21383 said:
Provocative. Did CNN clear that headline with the appropriate Democratic staffer? Something like "Trump Mocks Clinton's Missing Server Emails" is the more accurate headline from my take on the press conference videos, though the "Mocks" headline would be a reminder of the Clinton-FBI investigation and, well, we can't have that message in the DNC media.

Likes nsaspook
Rick21383 said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-hack-hillary-clinton/index.html

lol when will the libs learn. It's starting to look like Trump is playing 3-D chess and they're playing tic tac toe. Once again he's dominating the news cycle because this will SURELY be his undoing! (unlike the other 1000 times this has been said)

I can't believe they think this is a smart attack angle for them. They keep getting dumber as the desparation grows.
What exactly are the democrats doing that you supposedly posted about? Your last link is from the period of 2009-2013 and has to do with the Clinton Foundation, something "I" brought up previously, it's not Current news, please notice that this is the Currents News forum.

Last edited:
Evo said:
What exactly are the democrats doing that you supposedly posted about? Your last link is from the period of 2009-2013 and has to do with the Clinton Foundation, something "I" brought up previously, it's not Current news, please notice that this is the currents news forum.

So you have an issue with me linking an article from the NY TIMES (which you deleted) that is directly related to an event that happened hours ago. Am I understanding this correctly?

Rick21383 said:
So you have an issue with me linking an article (which you deleted) that's directly related to an event that happened hours ago. Am I understanding this correctly?
I deleted a link to an article from April 23, 2015 about an event that took place during 2009-2013. Maybe you posted the wrong link?

Rick21383 said:

While I have to admit that Hillary is a poor choice for president, I feel Donald Trump is probably worse (and very sadly, that says a lot!).
Your welcome to dig up all the dirt on Hillary you want, I certainly have too. She is a pig that Bill used a couple of gallons of lipstick to cover last night. (One pig, painting another!).
However, you should do some real research on your candidate too, so that you can make a more informed decision when you vote. I didn't like what I found out about Donald and still feel (for me) that Hillary is the better choice. When you discover all the ugly history Donald has, you might still consider him a better candidate than Hillary (he is certainly better than Cruz). But your glowing claims of his candidacy infer you don't know as much about this Mega real estate broker as you should. I suggest you look at his history during the 80's and 90's for some particularly nefarious deeds, although pretty much any time frame in the last 30 years will yield a story of his integrity ?:) or lack thereof.
There were several Republican candidates that I would have gladly voted for over Hillary this election, but Trump isn't one of them.

Likes Evo
Evo said:
I deleted a link to an article from April 23, 2015 about an event that took place during 2009-2013. Maybe you posted the wrong link?

Do you realize that you literally posted about the event between 2009 and 2013 in your post #715? It's there to view, assuming you don't delete it. You did the exact same thing you're telling me that I am not allowed to do. And you are now deleting my posts because they don't fit your personal agenda.

Likes gfd43tg
Rick21383 said:
Do you realize that you literally posted about the event between 2009 and 2013 in your post #715? It's there to view, assuming you don't delete it. You did the exact same thing you're telling me that I am not allowed to do. And you are now deleting my posts because they don't fit your personal agenda.
That's what I said. I sent you the link to my post #715 dated July 6th that I referred to, so why are you pretending you found it and that I might delete it and hide it? Why are you acting surprised when I told you all of this in the PM I sent you? Why are you pretending things are not as they are? MY link was to a current story dated July 6th by Politico. I followed the rules, you didn't. And you know this.

Last edited:
I rather liked this quote from the CNN link in post 833
"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press,"

I really admire a good sense of humor ...

Edit: no source, removed by moderator

Likes Dotini