1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking up the semi-circle into infinitesimally small rings

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1400192241.980915.jpg

I attempted to solve this problem by breaking up the semi-circle into infinitesimally small rings of mass dm and width dr a distance r away from the center [0<r<R]. I then wrote dm in terms of the area: dm=pi*r*dr. Then, I plugged into the formula di=integral(dm*r^2) and integrated from 0 to R giving me .25*pi*R^4. This is not what I would have gotten for a complete disk though I would have gotten .5*pi*R^4 using the same process. Can someone please help I don't even know if I started correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have left out a constant factor for density. What happens when you include that and express it in terms of the mass and area of the object?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted