1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bridge circuit - 5 eqns with 5 unknowns

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The bridge circuit for this problem:
    http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7366/bridgecircuit.jpg [Broken]

I have to derive a formula for the equivalent resistance (Req) of the bridge circuit shown in the link.

2. Relevant equations

I've been able to come up with the 5 equations with 5 unknowns using Kirchoff's loop and junction laws. They are as follows:

1) I = I1 + I2
    2) I1 = I3 + I5
    3) I4 = I2 + I5
    4) I1R1 + I5R5 = I2R2
    5) I5R5 + I4R4 = I3R3

Also, IReq = I1R1 + I3R3

so, Req = (I1R1 + I3R3)/I

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having trouble starting to solve this system of equations. I've tried various substitutions but they have all led me to dead ends.

Based on equation 6, I know that I have to express all the currents across each resistor in terms of 'I', so that 'I' cancels when doing the final substitution in equation 6, leaving only the resistors.

I am not asking for a full derivation, but simply some direction as to how to approach solving this system.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You also have an equation for the current coming out: 7) I3 + I4 = I.
    I would suggest using the relatively simple eqn 3 to eliminate all the I4s. That is, replace all I4 entries with I2 + I5. Likewise, solve eqn 2 for I5 and eliminate all the I5 entries. I'm trying to keep I1 and I3 so you can solve for them and use them in eqn 6. Solve eqn 1 for I2 eliminate that. The next steps, solving for I1 and I3 will be rather messy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook