Bridge circuit - 5 eqns with 5 unknowns

In summary, the problem involves deriving a formula for the equivalent resistance (Req) of a bridge circuit using Kirchoff's laws. The system of equations includes 5 equations with 5 unknowns, as well as an additional equation for the current coming out. To solve the system, it is suggested to use equations 2 and 3 to eliminate all the I4 and I5 entries, and then solve for I1 and I3 to use in equation 6.
skierboy

Homework Statement

The bridge circuit for this problem:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7366/bridgecircuit.jpg

I have to derive a formula for the equivalent resistance (Req) of the bridge circuit shown in the link.

Homework Equations

I've been able to come up with the 5 equations with 5 unknowns using Kirchoff's loop and junction laws. They are as follows:

1) I = I1 + I2
2) I1 = I3 + I5
3) I4 = I2 + I5
4) I1R1 + I5R5 = I2R2
5) I5R5 + I4R4 = I3R3

Also, IReq = I1R1 + I3R3

so, Req = (I1R1 + I3R3)/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble starting to solve this system of equations. I've tried various substitutions but they have all led me to dead ends.

Based on equation 6, I know that I have to express all the currents across each resistor in terms of 'I', so that 'I' cancels when doing the final substitution in equation 6, leaving only the resistors.

I am not asking for a full derivation, but simply some direction as to how to approach solving this system.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You also have an equation for the current coming out: 7) I3 + I4 = I.
I would suggest using the relatively simple eqn 3 to eliminate all the I4s. That is, replace all I4 entries with I2 + I5. Likewise, solve eqn 2 for I5 and eliminate all the I5 entries. I'm trying to keep I1 and I3 so you can solve for them and use them in eqn 6. Solve eqn 1 for I2 eliminate that. The next steps, solving for I1 and I3 will be rather messy!

I would first start by simplifying the equations as much as possible. For example, equations 2 and 3 can be combined to eliminate I2 and I3. Additionally, equations 4 and 5 can be combined to eliminate I5.

Once the equations are simplified, I would try to isolate one variable in each equation. For example, in equation 1, I can isolate I2 by subtracting I1 from both sides. Then, in equation 4, I can isolate I4 by subtracting I2 from both sides and substituting in the expression for I2 from equation 1. This will give me an equation with only one unknown, I5.

I would continue this process of isolating one variable at a time until I have equations with only one unknown each. Then, I can solve for each unknown using substitution or elimination.

Once I have the values for all the unknowns, I can use equation 6 to calculate the equivalent resistance. It may also be helpful to draw a circuit diagram and label the currents and resistors to visualize the problem better.

Overall, solving a system of equations with multiple unknowns can be challenging, but breaking it down into smaller, simpler steps can make it more manageable. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or reference material for additional guidance.

1. What is a bridge circuit?

A bridge circuit is an electrical circuit that is used to measure unknown electrical resistances. It consists of four resistors, connected in a diamond shape, with an unknown resistor in one of the arms. The measurement is made by adjusting the values of the other resistors until the circuit is balanced.

2. How does a bridge circuit work?

A bridge circuit works by using the principle of Wheatstone bridge, which states that when a bridge circuit is balanced, the voltage across the bridge is zero. This is achieved by adjusting the values of the known resistors until the bridge is balanced, allowing the unknown resistance to be calculated.

3. What are the five equations used in a bridge circuit with five unknowns?

The five equations used in a bridge circuit with five unknowns are:1. Kirchhoff's current law (KCL)2. Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL)3. The bridge balance equation4. The voltage divider equation5. The resistance ratio equation

4. What are the five unknowns in a bridge circuit with five equations?

The five unknowns in a bridge circuit with five equations are:1. The unknown resistance2. The values of the four known resistors3. The voltage across the bridge4. The current through the bridge5. The ratio of the two voltage dividers in the bridge

5. What are the applications of a bridge circuit?

Bridge circuits have various applications in electrical and electronic engineering, including:1. Measuring unknown resistances in circuits2. Strain measurement in mechanical systems3. Temperature measurement using temperature-sensitive resistors4. Capacitance measurement in capacitive sensors5. Inductance measurement in inductive sensors