Browsers freeze, internet connection lost

In summary: I'm not sure what to do.In summary, my computer has been having issues with the internet connection recently, and after trying various troubleshooting steps, I think it may be due to the dust in the computer. I've tried to clean it out, and so far it seems to be working okay.
Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Here's a new one, but in the past couple of weeks I have to reboot my windows to get the internet connection started up again. It happens with all my browsers installed, Edge (which I do not normally use), Firefox (my default) and Chrome (backup).

Someplace a setting is hanging up or a driver is shutting down.

By the way the machine is a 5-6 year old HP pavilion and all the drivers are up to date.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could it be heat related? Do you hear the fan running pretty soon after you've turned it on?

Perhaps you could use compressed air to blow out the innards and/or reset the cards and cables to remove the possibility of static discharge.

I'll try it, we have been having the house torn apart and there is a butt load of dust and I haven't cleaned it out in a while...

It could be many things. My answer is probably trite, but here it goes. I noticed once that when I opened the browsers, the OS began intensive read/write operations on the hard disk while opening it. That makes the browser freeze and appear as Not Responding for a good while amount of time. I'm talking as much as 1 minute here. The whole operating system became slow too.

I didn't really know what was going on, but a reinstall of the browser fixed it for me (removing also all browser data in AppData). The only problem is that if you had add-ons or extensions you have to install them again. Check if you notice intensive read/write operations on the hard disk while opening it.

Note: My hard disk health was good. Not a single sector was damaged or so said the health report.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Windows 10? Maybe there is a memory leak somewhere? Scan for malware.
did, matter a fact, had mcaffee do it twice from their end. No malware, although on occasion when I reset/reboot, a read exception pops up. Next thought is a hard drive if it isn't dust.

Tried to blow the dust and grime out, it was bad, let's see if that helps.

Psinter said:
It could be many things. My answer is probably trite, but here it goes. I noticed once that when I opened the browsers, the OS began intensive read/write operations on the hard disk while opening it. That makes the browser freeze and appear as Not Responding for a good while amount of time. I'm talking as much as 1 minute here. The whole operating system became slow too.

I didn't really know what was going on, but a reinstall of the browser fixed it for me (removing also all browser data in AppData). The only problem is that if you had add-ons or extensions you have to install them again. Check if you notice intensive read/write operations on the hard disk while opening it.

Note: My hard disk health was good. Not a single sector was damaged or so said the health report.

Drive doesn't seem to labor when I open browsers, it might be slow, but they open fine.

One thing I may have not mentioned, this happens randomly when I have been on for a while, but it seems to be random, no specific time involved.

Dr Transport said:
Drive doesn't seem to labor when I open browsers, it might be slow, but they open fine.
Hmmmm. I wouldn't know then. Probably this you could try:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Like, access that page with a tablet or phone for when the next time it happens. If it is neither of them, I would check the DNS. But in a couple of those many troubleshooting listed there, the DNS should get fixed automatically.

Update:

I did a couple of the things suggested above, I did adjust the setting for both Firefox and Chrome and the biggest thing I did was to open up the case and blow out all of the dust/grime and reset all the cables.

So far so good, none of the browsers have locked up and the computer has not lost connectivity with the interwebs...

Thanks to all,

Likes Psinter

1. Why does my browser keep freezing?

There are several possible reasons for your browser freezing. One common cause is having too many tabs or extensions open, which can overload your computer's memory. Another possibility is a conflict between your browser and a certain website or plugin. It could also be due to outdated software or a virus on your computer.

2. How can I fix a frozen browser?

If your browser freezes, the first step is to try closing any unnecessary tabs or extensions. You can also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or restarting your computer. If the issue persists, you may need to update your browser or scan your computer for viruses.

3. Why does my internet connection keep dropping?

There are a few potential reasons for a lost internet connection. It could be a problem with your router or modem, an issue with your ISP, or interference from other devices. It's also possible that your internet plan does not provide a strong enough connection for your needs.

4. How can I troubleshoot a lost internet connection?

If your internet connection keeps dropping, try restarting your router and modem. You can also check for any outages in your area or contact your ISP for assistance. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue or you may need to upgrade your internet plan.

5. Can a slow internet connection cause a browser to freeze?

Yes, a slow internet connection can contribute to a browser freezing. If the browser is waiting for a page or content to load, it may become unresponsive. In this case, it's important to check your internet speed and troubleshoot any issues with your connection.