Brushless DC Motors suitable for Underwater?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice about using an Oriental motor brushless DC motor for an underwater ROV project. They have encountered problems with the motor stalling after 5 seconds in the water, despite it being sealed in a water-tight enclosure. They are wondering if there is something wrong with the motor or if additional components are needed for it to work properly. They are seeking advice and any help would be appreciated.
Kunniez
Hi people,

im new to this forum. I'm currently working on a underwater ROV for my school project. We did a experiment recently on the performance of our ROV. We met up with some problems on the motor & the propeller for the thrusting. The motor stalls just after 5secs. So I am thinking is there any wrong with our motor? Cuz I am afraid that our brushless DC motor might not be suitable for underwater usage. The motor we bought is "Oriental motor Brushless DC motor" model BLM5100k-A. Is there anyone had tried making a ROV using those motors? Pls advise. Any help will be very much appreciated!

Thank you
Kunniez

Engineering news on Phys.org
The motor is sealed in a water-tight enclosure, right? The motor doesn't know it's underwater, or at least it shouldn't. What do you mean by "stalls"?

Yup it in seal in a high density plastic material called delrin with O rings & rubber seals at the opening. It is already a water proof seal so I am sure there wun be any water that could leaks into the motor. I did a experiment on the motor & driver mounted wif a marine propeller in the water. Everytime i on the power supply, the propellers starts to spin smoothly for the first 5secs. After that it will stop automatically. I am suspecting is it whether the motor couldn't run at consistent pressure in the water. Cuz when i tested the motor & propeller on air, it works perfectly fine. Or is it becuz there is not enough current or is there other extra components to make this work. Eg, like a potential meter. Pls advise...

What are brushless DC motors suitable for underwater?

Brushless DC motors are electric motors that are designed to operate underwater without the need for a conventional commutator and brushes. They are commonly used in applications such as marine propulsion, underwater robotics, and remotely operated vehicles.

How do brushless DC motors work underwater?

Brushless DC motors use a series of permanent magnets on the rotor and electromagnets on the stator to create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the permanent magnets on the rotor, causing it to rotate. The rotation of the rotor is controlled by the electronic commutation of the electromagnets on the stator, without the need for physical contact between the rotor and stator.

What are the advantages of using brushless DC motors underwater?

Brushless DC motors are ideal for underwater applications because they are more efficient, have a longer lifespan, and are less prone to wear and tear than traditional brushed motors. They also have a higher power-to-weight ratio, making them suitable for use in small underwater vehicles.

What challenges do brushless DC motors face when used underwater?

Although brushless DC motors are designed to operate underwater, they still face some challenges. One of the main challenges is maintaining the waterproofing of the motor, as any water ingress can damage the internal components and lead to failure. Additionally, the high salt content in seawater can cause corrosion and affect the performance of the motor.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a brushless DC motor for underwater use?

When selecting a brushless DC motor for underwater applications, it is important to consider factors such as the size and weight of the motor, its power output, speed and torque capabilities, and the level of waterproofing and corrosion resistance. It is also important to consider the specific requirements of the application and choose a motor that is suitable for the intended use.