Would an inverter welder be a suitable power supply for high amp stepper motors

In summary: This is a more detailed description of a chopper drive board and how it would work for your application.The 5500KV Kevlar bandaged brushless motor can handle up to 100,000 rpm. The voltage delivered from an inverter welder would likely not be enough to power the motor at this speed. A welder would be more appropriate for using the controls to regulate the power delivered to the motor.
toojaded
Good day people. I am new here and discovered the forum while trying to answer this question. I have a large variety of brushless and stepper motors collected all for the purpose of putting together my CNC mill. The router will be 80 amp 5500KV Kevlar bandaged brushless motor capable of 100,000 rpm. My problem is I am running out of money and still need substantial power requirements. My first max nc mill I doubled the volts and tripled the resistors to make it do a lot more work faster. All to my electrical engineers surprise. But I digress. The issue I raise here is would 220 volt inverter stepping down to 56 volt DC be suitable current for Brushless motors. There is a controller that converts the current to three phase for the motor. Any advise would be much appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ar you saying the motor was bandaged with 5500KV Kevlar material- or did you mistype the actual motor's voltage?

I am at a loss for what you are using an inverter at 220 if you need 56 VDC - can you post a schematic and perhaps more details about the motor?

Thanx for reply. After re-reading I have mis worded. The steppers are not Kevlar bandaged but will handle 56 volts DC. the router motor is Kevlar bandaged so the winding's don't separate at 100,000 rpm. I do not have a schematic. I am interested in the principal type of current delivered from an inverter welder being compatible with brushless motors.Cheers

OK - so 56 V and 80A - ~ 5KW Motor - at 100K RPM --- this is not a trivial case. A welder wants to weld - if you want to use the welder controls to regulate what is going on - I smell smoke.
There are DC motor controllers that I would look to first - look for a DC Motor controller development board - they make good platforms for one offs - somthing like THIS

It is not quite to the power level of your motor -

I looked at the link. They are brushless controller boards. Similar in purpose to chopper drives plus cnc software. I still need power supply that has similar characteristics to DC battery. Cheers

In general the DC bus power supply for this is not too big of a problem or difficult, however for the full power 5KW it can add up to a few $ - which then has me asking why were you wanting to use a welder to start with?

Oh - just found this - worth a read... http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/41233a.pdf

Last edited:

1. Can an inverter welder be used as a power supply for high amp stepper motors?

Yes, an inverter welder can be used as a power supply for high amp stepper motors. Inverter welders are designed to handle high amperage loads and can provide a stable power supply for stepper motors.

2. What are the advantages of using an inverter welder as a power supply for stepper motors?

One of the main advantages of using an inverter welder as a power supply for stepper motors is its ability to provide a stable and consistent power output, which is crucial for the precise movements of stepper motors. Additionally, inverter welders are compact and portable, making them convenient for use in various settings.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using an inverter welder as a power supply for high amp stepper motors?

One potential disadvantage of using an inverter welder as a power supply for high amp stepper motors is its limited output voltage range. Inverter welders are typically designed to operate within a specific voltage range, so they may not be suitable for applications that require a wider range of voltage.

4. How do I determine if an inverter welder is suitable for my specific stepper motor application?

To determine if an inverter welder is suitable for your specific stepper motor application, you should first check the voltage and amperage requirements of your stepper motor. Then, compare these requirements to the output capabilities of the inverter welder. If the inverter welder can provide the necessary voltage and amperage, it can be considered suitable for your application.

5. Can I use any type of inverter welder as a power supply for stepper motors?

No, not all types of inverter welders are suitable for use as a power supply for stepper motors. It is important to choose an inverter welder that is specifically designed for this purpose and has the necessary output capabilities to meet the voltage and amperage requirements of your stepper motors.