Bs In OSE (?) for a Career in Photonics.

In summary, a senior high school student is interested in a career in photonics and nanophotonics. They have applied for a physics degree but have recently discovered a bs in OSE (Optical Sciences and Engineering) at their chosen college. They are wondering if a bs in OSE would be better preparation for a career in photonics than a bs in physics. However, they are also considering changing to an engineering degree and would like advice on which engineering degree would be best for a career in optics/photonics. They are open to the possibility of going to grad school and have a particular interest in IOC.
timatom
Hi, I'm a senior high school student interested in a career in photonics and nanophotonics. The school I will be going to is well known for it's optical sciences and offers a bs in OSE (Optical Sciences and Engineering). Having never heard that such degrees existed, I applied for a physics degree before I noticed the bs in OSE. I already have been thinking, for employment reasons, about changing to an engineering degree, but never knew these kind of engineering degrees existed (it's even ABET accredited). I was wondering if anybody in this field, or atleast well acquainted with it, (maybe someone like zapperz?) could tell me if a bs in OSE would be a better, or just as good of, preparation (with a few physics courses like quantum physics and special relativity on the side, of course) than a bs in physics. This is the first time a degree has cought my attention more than physics! Sorry for the long message (first post) and thanks for all the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you are only at high school, so keep in mind that your interests will change in time as you acquire experience and knowledge. You are very young, you have so many opportunities and chances so why do you limit yourself with photonics? If you are interested in science, study physics, take a course in quantum mechanics, study some math, work in a lab, do some data analysis, and when you are approaching graduation you will be far better equipped at making a career choice.

I have never heard of OSE before and I don't think anoyone heard too, but I can tell you this with 100% certainty that if you get your Bs in OPE you will have too few opportunities upon graduation.

Thanks for the advice. The reason I posted this thread was because I was interested about a career in photonics and what route, if I were to choose it, would be the best preparation. But, since I'm going to college in 4 months, I need to start thinking about what I want to do. But, I also agree with what you said. At this point, I don't know what I want, just that I love physics and have an interest in optics. I just figured, since I'm changing to engineering, I would see what you guys thought as to if a bs in ose was good prep for a career in something like photonics. But, like you said, a bs in ose might be to soon to be specializing. In this case, what degree in engineering do you guys think would be both the best prep for a career in (provided I go to grad school for it) optics/photonics and would still have good career prospects. I would like to note that my interest in photonics stems from my interest in IOC. So, maybe I should consider a bs in EE and just take a few optics courses on the side.

Lol, I ment the beginning of my interest in photonics stems from reading about IOC's. Again, thanks for the advice.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you are interested in a career in photonics and nanophotonics! These fields are becoming increasingly important in various industries, such as telecommunications, healthcare, and energy.

A BS in OSE (Optical Sciences and Engineering) is definitely a great path to take if you are interested in pursuing a career in photonics. This degree will provide you with a strong foundation in both the science and engineering aspects of optics, which is crucial in this field. In addition, the fact that the program is ABET accredited means that it meets the standards set by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, ensuring that you receive a quality education.

While a BS in physics can also prepare you for a career in photonics, it may not provide you with the specific skills and knowledge needed in this field. Physics degrees tend to focus more on theoretical concepts, while an OSE degree will have a more practical and hands-on approach. Additionally, the OSE program may offer courses and research opportunities specifically related to photonics and nanophotonics, giving you a more specialized education.

It's great that you are considering taking some physics courses on the side, as quantum physics and special relativity are important concepts in the field of photonics. This will give you a well-rounded education and make you a more competitive candidate for jobs in this field.

Overall, a BS in OSE would be an excellent choice for preparing for a career in photonics and nanophotonics. I would also recommend reaching out to professionals in the field, such as zapperz, for further advice and insights. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

1. What is a BS in OSE for a career in photonics?

A BS in OSE (Optical Science and Engineering) is a degree program that focuses on the study of optics, photonics, and related technologies. This degree provides students with a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles that are necessary for a career in photonics.

2. What kind of courses will I take in a BS in OSE program?

Some common courses in a BS in OSE program include optics, lasers, photonics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. Students may also take courses in mathematics, physics, and engineering, as well as hands-on laboratory courses to gain practical experience with optical systems and equipment.

3. What type of career opportunities are available with a BS in OSE?

A BS in OSE can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, manufacturing, defense, and healthcare. Some common job titles for OSE graduates include optical engineer, photonics technician, laser system designer, and research scientist.

4. Is a BS in OSE a good choice for someone interested in pursuing a career in photonics?

Yes, a BS in OSE is an excellent choice for someone interested in a career in photonics. This degree program provides a strong foundation in both theoretical and practical aspects of optics and photonics, and prepares students for a wide range of job opportunities in the field.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in a photonics career with a BS in OSE?

In addition to a strong understanding of optics and photonics principles, successful careers in photonics also require skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Excellent analytical and communication skills are also important, as photonics professionals often work in cross-disciplinary teams and need to effectively communicate complex ideas and concepts.