1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bs In OSE (?) for a Career in Photonics.

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm a senior highschool student interested in a career in photonics and nanophotonics. The school I will be going to is well known for it's optical sciences and offers a bs in OSE (Optical Sciences and Engineering). Having never heard that such degrees existed, I applied for a physics degree before I noticed the bs in OSE. I already have been thinking, for employment reasons, about changing to an engineering degree, but never knew these kind of engineering degrees existed (it's even ABET accredited). I was wondering if anybody in this feild, or atleast well acquainted with it, (maybe someone like zapperz?) could tell me if a bs in OSE would be a better, or just as good of, preparation (with a few physics courses like quantum physics and special relativity on the side, of course) than a bs in physics. This is the first time a degree has cought my attention more than physics! Sorry for the long message (first post) and thanks for all the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2
    Well you are only at high school, so keep in mind that your interests will change in time as you acquire experience and knowledge. You are very young, you have so many opportunities and chances so why do you limit yourself with photonics? If you are interested in science, study physics, take a course in quantum mechanics, study some math, work in a lab, do some data analysis, and when you are approaching graduation you will be far better equipped at making a career choice.

I have never heard of OSE before and I don't think anoyone heard too, but I can tell you this with 100% certainty that if you get your Bs in OPE you will have too few opportunities upon graduation.

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the advice. The reason I posted this thread was because I was interested about a career in photonics and what route, if I were to choose it, would be the best preparation. But, since I'm going to college in 4 months, I need to start thinking about what I want to do. But, I also agree with what you said. At this point, I don't know what I want, just that I love physics and have an interest in optics. I just figured, since I'm changing to engineering, I would see what you guys thought as to if a bs in ose was good prep for a career in something like photonics. But, like you said, a bs in ose might be to soon to be specializing. In this case, what degree in engineering do you guys think would be both the best prep for a career in (provided I go to grad school for it) optics/photonics and would still have good career prospects. I would like to note that my intrest in photonics stems from my intrest in IOC. So, maybe I should consider a bs in EE and just take a few optics courses on the side.

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4
    Lol, I ment the beginning of my interest in photonics stems from reading about IOC's. Again, thanks for the advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook