1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs BS/MS at one school PhD at another?

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    Hello all,

I am thinking about purusing the BS/MS option in nuclear engineering at my university. However, the NE department at my school is small and I am not exactly sure if my research interests really line up with any of the professors here. I am not sure yet if I do want to pursue a doctorate after masters but I would like to keep that option. Are there any big obstacles in getting a masters at one school, and then apply for a doctorate some where else?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No other than the PhD program telling you to retake classes at their university when you get in.

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3

eri

No, you can do a masters at one school and a PhD at another, but like Pengwuino said, many will require you to retake a good number of masters classes and you'll still have to pass their qualifying exam. Also, doing a masters thesis is often a very good thing to have for admission to a PhD program - but many BS/MS programs don't give you that option.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook