Bs.physics (optics) or major in physics minor in C.S

In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a B.S in physics with a specialization in optics, but does not enjoy optics. They are considering taking a major in physics and a minor in computer science and are seeking insight on whether it is a good combination. The suggested computer science courses include computer architecture, programming with C++, introduction to software development, OS, algorithm, AI, and Unix.
QuantumThinker
hi guys !

i am currently in my 3rd year of my B.s in physics with a specialization in optics , but , i don't like optics at all , so i had this idea of taking a major in physics and minor in computer science.
i would like to know if you think its a good combination .

need some insights

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of courses would the computer science minor require? Experience with programming is never a bad thing in the sciences, I'd say.

Computer science is a useful minor. I say go for it.

courses like computer architecture , programming with C++, introduction to software development, OS,algorithm,Ai, unix and so on..

1. What is the difference between a major in physics and a minor in computer science?

A major in physics focuses on the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world, while a minor in computer science provides a foundation in the theory and application of computers and software. Both fields have their own unique set of skills and knowledge, but they can also complement each other in areas such as data analysis and modeling.

2. How does optics relate to physics?

Optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of light. It is concerned with the production, propagation, and detection of light, as well as its interactions with matter. Optics is an important field within physics, with applications in fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and astronomy.

3. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in Bs.physics (optics) or a major in physics with a minor in computer science?

Graduates with a degree in Bs.physics (optics) or a major in physics with a minor in computer science have a wide range of career opportunities in both the private and public sectors. Some common career paths include research and development in industries such as optics, engineering, and telecommunications, as well as jobs in data analysis and software development.

4. What skills do I need to excel in a Bs.physics (optics) or major in physics minor in computer science program?

A strong foundation in mathematics and analytical thinking is essential for success in a Bs.physics (optics) or major in physics minor in computer science program. Additionally, good problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a curiosity about the workings of the physical world and technology are important qualities to possess.

5. What can I expect to learn in a Bs.physics (optics) or major in physics minor in computer science program?

In a Bs.physics (optics) or major in physics minor in computer science program, you can expect to learn about the fundamental laws and principles of physics, as well as how to apply them to solve real-world problems. You will also gain a strong foundation in computer science, including programming, algorithms, and data structures. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to conduct research and gain hands-on experience through laboratory work and projects.