BSc in Meteorology with no experience -- Is it reasonable to look for international jobs?

In summary: Have you since started your studies? If not, have you found any other job opportunities in your field? In summary, Phylosopher is a Portuguese citizen with a BSc in Meteorology, Oceanography, and Geophysics who has been applying for job opportunities related to weather forecasting internationally. They have no experience and may require sponsorship. They have found limited job opportunities in their own country and have been searching for job boards and suggestions for potential job opportunities in private consultancy firms and geophysics companies. They have also been tutoring online while continuing to search for job opportunities. They have faced challenges in finding job opportunities internationally due to their lack of experience and the difficulties for employers in hiring someone from another country. They have also considered focusing their job
torstum
Summary:: I'm a portuguese citizen, holding a BSc in Meteorology, Oceanography and Geophysics, and I've been applying for job opportunities related to weather forecasting, internationally. I have no experience in it whatsoever, and I would probably require sponsoring. Is it reasonable to continue doing it, since in my own country it seems extremely unlikely to find something worthy? These are the job boards that I have found, that seem to be the most useful, (...)

Hi everyone,

I'm a portuguese citizen, holding a BSc in Meteorology, Oceanography and Geophysics, and I've been applying for job opportunities related to weather forecasting, internationally. I have no experience in it whatsoever, and I would probably require sponsoring. Is it reasonable to continue doing it, since in my own country it seems extremely unlikely to find something worthy? These are the job boards that I have found, that seem to be the most useful, but any suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated! How about private consultancy firms, or even geophysics companies?

https://jobs.rmets.org/

http://www.met.psu.edu/careers/job-listings/all-job-listings

https://careercenter.ametsoc.org/

Also, send me links to great job boards that you may have found, thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Yours is a highly specialized niche question. Have you reached out to your previous university for help? Your previous professors, classmates, and alumni? In particular, where have alumni with your background found jobs?

Hi CrysPhys

Thanks for replying; unfortunately, I lost contact with former classmates, it's been several years now, but I know that some are working in the portuguese institute in which the national weather forecasts are prepared, and others are working under poorly payed research grants. I usually check their official website (IPMA). Apparently not many opportunities are available here, but I usually see job offers for work in The US and Canada. Although I don't enjoy it as much, I suppose I could also apply to Oceanography and Hydrology job offers, but seems like it's been somewhat difficult to even get to the point where someone would consider me for an interview. But I'm being persistent, and in the meantime, I'm tutoring Physics/Math online, although I still don't know which sites are best for advertising it

Last edited:
It depends on the country you are applying to and the country you are from.

I was living in a two/third world country at the time I graduated with my BSc., I tried to find jobs internationally without any experience and I failed miserably XD

I applied to around 30 companies/institutions, no one even replied to me... Put yourself in the shoes of the employer and consider all the hassle of the visa, accommodation, waiting time, etc they have to put themselves into, just to employ you... To bring someone from another country, you need to invest a lot of time as an employer. Nearly any BSc. holder with no experience is doomed to fail because 1- He is not worthy the time 2- The alternative is nearly always available 3- Most employers need to employ staff on a fast pace and they do not want to wait.

This is my honest opinion, but I might be wrong.

Now, coming to your first line. You said you are Portuguese, will then, you better apply to countries inside the EU. I am no expert in EU affairs, but from what it seems, it is WAY more plausible getting a job in Spain, France or Germany than a job in Canada, UK or the USA, for the same exact reasons I mentioned earlier.

Phylosopher said:
It depends on the country you are applying to and the country you are from.

I was living in a two/third world country at the time I graduated with my BSc., I tried to find jobs internationally without any experience and I failed miserably XD

I applied to around 30 companies/institutions, no one even replied to me... Put yourself in the shoes of the employer and consider all the hassle of the visa, accommodation, waiting time, etc they have to put themselves into, just to employ you... To bring someone from another country, you need to invest a lot of time as an employer. Nearly any BSc. holder with no experience is doomed to fail because 1- He is not worthy the time 2- The alternative is nearly always available 3- Most employers need to employ staff on a fast pace and they do not want to wait.

This is my honest opinion, but I might be wrong.

Now, coming to your first line. You said you are Portuguese, will then, you better apply to countries inside the EU. I am no expert in EU affairs, but from what it seems, it is WAY more plausible getting a job in Spain, France or Germany than a job in Canada, UK or the USA, for the same exact reasons I mentioned earlier.

@Phylosopher , if you don't mind my asking, what are you currently doing now?

In a previous post (dated back in January 2020), you had stated that you were postponing the beginning of your graduate studies in Germany.

1. Is a BSc in Meteorology enough to land an international job without any prior experience?

It is possible to find an international job with a BSc in Meteorology, but it may be challenging without any prior experience. Many employers prefer candidates with practical experience and skills, so it may be beneficial to gain experience through internships or research projects while pursuing your degree.

2. Are there opportunities for international jobs in the field of Meteorology?

Yes, there are opportunities for international jobs in Meteorology. Weather and climate affect every region of the world, so meteorologists are needed globally. Many international organizations, such as the World Meteorological Organization, also offer job opportunities for meteorologists.

3. What skills and qualifications are necessary to be considered for an international job in Meteorology?

In addition to a BSc in Meteorology, employers may look for specific skills and qualifications, such as proficiency in a foreign language, experience with data analysis and computer modeling, and knowledge of international weather patterns and climate systems. It may also be beneficial to have a strong understanding of weather forecasting techniques and the ability to work in a team.

4. How can I increase my chances of getting an international job in Meteorology?

To increase your chances of getting an international job in Meteorology, it is essential to gain practical experience and develop strong skills in areas such as data analysis and computer modeling. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on current weather and climate trends globally can also help you stand out as a candidate.

5. Are there any specific regions or countries that have a higher demand for meteorologists?

There is a demand for meteorologists in every region of the world, but some areas may have a higher demand due to their unique weather and climate patterns. For example, regions prone to hurricanes or severe weather events may have a higher demand for meteorologists. It is essential to research the specific job market and opportunities in your desired region or country.