Bubbles in buret experimental error

In summary, if bubbles are not removed from a buret before a titration, the measured volume of titrant used will be more than the actual volume used. This can result in an increased analyte concentration and mass. However, the effects of bubbles on the titration results depend on whether they rise, stay in place, or fall with the titrant.
i_love_science
When bubbles are not removed from a buret before a titration, the measured volume of titrant used is more than the actual volume used. Then the analyte concentration will be greater than the actual concentration, and the mass of the analyte will be greater as well.

Instead, it will actually lead to low results. Could anyone explain why, and where my reasoning went wrong? Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It actually depends on what happens to the bubbles - whether they go up (or stay in place when the titrant levels passes them, which is effectively the same), or go down with the titrant.

I saw them do both.

Likes jim mcnamara and symbolipoint

1. What causes bubbles to form in a buret during an experiment?

Bubbles can form in a buret due to a variety of reasons, including air trapped in the buret or solution, temperature changes, or improper handling of the buret.

2. How do bubbles affect the accuracy of the experiment?

Bubbles can cause experimental error by altering the volume of the solution in the buret, leading to incorrect measurements and results. They can also cause air pockets that disrupt the flow of the solution.

3. How can I prevent bubbles from forming in the buret during my experiment?

To prevent bubbles, make sure to properly clean and dry the buret before use, and carefully fill it with solution without creating air pockets. Keeping the buret at a constant temperature can also help prevent bubbles from forming.

4. Can bubbles be removed from the buret during an experiment?

Yes, bubbles can be removed by tapping the buret gently to release any trapped air. It is important to be careful not to disturb the solution or create more bubbles while doing so.

5. How can I account for bubbles in my experimental data?

If bubbles are present in the buret during an experiment, it is important to take multiple measurements and average them to reduce the impact of any potential errors caused by the bubbles. It is also helpful to note the presence of bubbles in your experimental records.