Buckling of columns - displacement distance?

In summary, the speaker has a question regarding calculating the maximum displacement of a crane system with a fixed-free column boundary. They later find a solution and provide a link to a formula for calculating deflection in a cantilever beam system. They also mention the importance of considering compressive load for safety reasons.
peet_dk
Hello

I have a question, I haven't got my books with me.. So hope you can help me..

I have a crane system like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/559096/column.jpg [Broken]

If the column have the boundary: Fixed-Free. Is there a easy way to calculate the maximum displacement? (in the top)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram. You have both a moment and a compressive load. Note that while the compressive load does not contribute to the deflection it will affect buckling concerns. For safety sake please look at this.

1. What is buckling of columns?

Buckling of columns is a phenomenon in which a structural column collapses or deforms due to excessive compressive forces. It occurs when the column is unable to withstand the compressive load and starts to bend or buckle sideways.

2. What causes buckling in columns?

Buckling in columns is primarily caused by compressive forces that exceed the column's critical load. This can be due to overloading, weak materials, or incorrect design and construction. Other factors such as temperature changes, vibrations, and imperfections in the column can also contribute to buckling.

3. How is the critical load of a column determined?

The critical load of a column is determined by its material properties, cross-sectional area, and length. The Euler's buckling equation is commonly used to calculate the critical load, which takes into account these factors. It is important to design columns with a critical load that is higher than the expected compressive load to prevent buckling.

4. How does buckling affect the displacement distance of a column?

Buckling can significantly increase the displacement distance of a column. When a column buckles, it loses its ability to support the load and starts to deform laterally. The displacement distance of the column depends on the magnitude of the compressive load, the column's length, and its material properties.

5. How can buckling of columns be prevented?

Buckling of columns can be prevented by designing and constructing them according to structural engineering standards. This includes using appropriate materials, ensuring proper column sizing and spacing, and considering potential external factors such as temperature and vibrations. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help detect any potential issues and prevent buckling.