1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Build 1 bit comparator using 2 to 4 decoder?

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    build 1 bit comparator using "2 to 4" decoder??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1eux48.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    worked out truth table:
    Code (Text):
    A     B    A>B   A<B   A=B
    0     0     0     0     1
    0     1     0     1     0
    1     0     1     0     0
    1     1     0     0     1
    prty sure thats right. just need part B now. now i have a 2 by 4 decoder, know wat it is, just confused because the outputs is different from what i have in the truth table. also, there is only 3 outputs in my truth table, the decoder has 4 outputs. so how does that work :\

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You need to make a circuit with the Decoder plus gates to generate those three outputs. What does the raw output of the decoder look like (what is its truth table given A and B as inputs)?

BTW, nice change to code tags on your table! :smile:

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    decoder outputs are from minterms. so a'b' outputs 1 in the 0 output, a'b outputs 1 in the 1 output, and so on. so all i have to do is change the output of ab input to match the output of a'b'? so that and gate will be an or instead: ab + a'b' ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted