1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a least square problem design matrix

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we want to to fit an arbitrary function f(t) with a polynomial of
    degree n - 1 using the values of the function in an arbitrary set of points z = [z1; z2; : : : ; zm].

how would do i construct the least squares problem Ax=b. in other words, how would i construct the matrix A and b in terms of f(t) and z ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

vandermonde's matrix

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose, for example, you want to fit a quadratic y = a + b*z = c*z^2 to data (z1,y1), (z2,y2),..., (zn,yn). You thus want to fit a linear form Y = c0*X0 + c1*X1 + c2*X2 to the data, where x0[j] = 1, x1[j] = zj and x2[j] = zj^2 for j = 1,...,n. So, you want to minimize S = sum_{j=1..n}(yj - c0*x0[j]-c1*x1[j]-c2*x2[j])^2. Differentiate wrt c0, c1 and c2 and equate the derivatives to zero. You will get a system of linear equations for c0, c1 c2. If you actually sit down and do this you will be answering your own question.

RGV

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    thank you RGV. if i put it in the form of vandermonde matrix would that work also?

5. Sep 6, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The vandermonde matrix is the matrix of columns X0[j] = 1,j=1..,n, X1[j = zj], i=1..n and X2[j] = zj^2, j=1..n. It is not the A-matrix of the least-squares method, although you build A starting from the vandermonde matrix. Like I said: write things out in detail to see what is happening.

RGV

6. Sep 6, 2011 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Ray,

Just a thought. In your example, suppose we let

[tex] A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & z_1 & z_1^2 \\ 1 & z_2 & z_2^2 \\ . & . & . \\ 1 & z_n & z_n^2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

[tex] x = \begin{pmatrix} c_0 \\ c_1 \\ c_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

[tex] b = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 & y_2 & ... & y_n \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

And get a least squares solution to the overdetermined system of equations [itex] Ax = b [/itex] by using the Moore-Penrose inverse of A. Have we solved an equivalent problem?

I don't know whether papasmurff is taking a course that might cover that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook