Building a roller coaster in school

In summary, a grade 12 student is tasked with building a rollercoaster for school with no restrictions on materials. The project is graded based on loops and hills, with 5 loops or 10 hills receiving full marks. The student plans to use plastic tubing and a marble, but their teacher suggests there may be a better way. The student also considers using magnets for a boost, but is unsure of how to control the orientation of the marble. They are seeking guidance before the project is due at the end of the month.
Sean1218
Not using template since it doesn't really fit.

I have to build a rollercoaster for school (grade 12) and it's due at the end of the month. There's no restrictions, so you can build it using whatever materials and such that you want.

It's graded based on loops and hills. Every loop is 20%, and every hill is 10%. So, 5 loops gets you 100%, 10 hills gets you 100%, or any combination of them that you want.

I was planning on just having one fairly large starting hill and then 5 loops in fairly quick succession, and was going to build it using plastic (?) tubing (just superglue the outside parts of the tube together to make loops, plus a marble that will run all the way through the tubing). I'll do the calculations later (in addition to trial and error) to see what heights and measurements I should use.

However, my teacher seemed to imply that there was a better way to build it. I can't think of anything other than tubing + a marble, or building some extravagant project with wood etc. (which is far beyond my skills as a builder..). Does anyone know of a better way than my tubing idea? My teacher also mentioned that bending the tubing would cause 'kinks', but it'd be fine if the tubing is large enough so that the kinks won't prevent the marble from moving (and the marble of course has to be large/heavy enough so that it will carry through and won't fail due to friction).

I also just came up with another idea to use some sort of boost (in the form of magnets) throughout the ride. Is this at all plausible? I'm not sure how I'd go about ensuring that only the right side of the magnet is facing the marble so that it gets repelled further along the track. I'm also not sure what I should replace the marble with (has to be something with magnetic properties, but wouldn't it by default have both a north and south side, and therefore I wouldn't be able to control whether it approaches my 'boosts' in the right orientation. Perhaps there's a better method of incorporating boosting effects that I'm unaware of?

A little guidance would be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I have until the end of this weekend.

What materials are needed to build a roller coaster in school?

The materials needed to build a roller coaster in school may vary depending on the design and size of the coaster. However, some common materials include PVC pipes, wooden boards, screws, nuts and bolts, and a variety of tools such as saws, drills, and hammers.

Can students safely ride the roller coaster once it is built?

It is important to ensure the safety of students when building a roller coaster in school. Therefore, it is recommended to have a professional engineer or experienced builder supervise the construction and perform safety checks before allowing students to ride the coaster.

How long does it take to build a roller coaster in school?

The time it takes to build a roller coaster in school can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the design, availability of materials and tools, and the number of people working on the project. It could take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete.

What are some safety measures that should be taken when building a roller coaster in school?

Safety should always be a top priority when building a roller coaster in school. Some important safety measures to consider include wearing appropriate protective gear, having a clear plan and design for the coaster, and following all safety guidelines and regulations set by the school or local authorities.

How can we incorporate educational elements into the roller coaster project?

Building a roller coaster in school can be a great opportunity to incorporate educational elements. Students can learn about physics concepts such as energy, speed, and inertia while designing and constructing the coaster. They can also practice problem-solving and teamwork skills throughout the project.