1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a solar cooker for school

Tags:
  1. May 16, 2015 #1
    (Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany) Hello! I need to build a solar cooker as a school project. Our build needs to be able to heat 1 liter of water in 80 minutes. My idea was, to heat the water by using a fresnellens. I've bought a 15.6 x 15.6 inches fresnellens for that. I thought about the construction and builded it. Now I have one big question. How am I supposted to heat the water at the focus of the lens? I thought about using a translucent jar with a piece of copper inside of it. The copper is suppost to absorb the sun ray and warm the water inside of the jar. Would this even work?

The attempt at a solution
    Using of copper?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2
    Very hard but possible, first you need big lens, maybe yours will do, copper is good at absorbing heat, but use black objects, they're better at absorbing radiant energy, and the water which is colder with steal the heat from the black body and so on
    So, i advice you to do :
    Small expirement to measure the heat of the black body while sun is hitting him through your lens and predict by that how much time will it need to reach 100°C and check if your lens work .
    I encourage you :)

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    Okay, thank you!
    I thought about copper, because it has a pretty good thermoconductivity

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. May 16, 2015 #4
    Any metal will do. Just make sure that it has an adequate surface area. Color the outside black and the inside shiny or white. 80°C is a lot

6. May 17, 2015 #5
    I'll do that, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted