Building a storm shelter with dog kennels and motion lights
- Topic: Construction
- Thread starter dlgoff
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Storm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
86 replies · 11K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Admin
- 69,783
- 25,632
No, no, no. You want deer TRAPS around your storm shelter, not deer fences. What if it's a long storm? What are you going to BBQ unless you trap a few deer? Sheesh.dlgoff said:Summary:: My Summer Job
a storm shelter.
To keep the deer off, I put two 10' dog kennels around it.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
To see if a storms is coming at night.Baluncore said:Why do you have lights?
A direct bury cable from my homes power serviceWhat is the source of the power?
hopefully it will.Will your wooden light pole survive?
outwards.Does the door open inwards or outwards?
I could always climb over the kennel.How will you get out once the dog kennel or caravan has fallen across the entrance?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
Everything is better with exploding bolts.
some bloke
- 290
- 103
dlgoff said:I could always climb over the kennel.
I think the context of the question was, if you were inside the bunker and something heavy (the pole, or caravan for example) fell across the door, how would you get out? if the door opens outwards then it will not be possible to open it from the inside, and you'd be trapped.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Ah! I understand now. Well I guess I would probably have to wait for a rescue. I do have a way to cook in there. Not to worry. I have a CO detector and the airflow into out is very high (I'm in the process of finding an airflow meter and will report the results here.) I'll be posting pics of the inside also.some bloke said:I think the context of the question was, if you were inside the bunker and something heavy (the pole, or caravan for example) fell across the door, how would you get out? if the door opens outwards then it will not be possible to open it from the inside, and you'd be trapped.
Thanks for the clarification @some bloke
Science Advisor
2025 Award
- 17,252
- 10,712
When the dog kennel comes down on the door, which is highly probable with a storm from any direction, the mesh will be weighed down with debris. You need to make the door so it can be taken apart from inside the shelter with available tools kept there for the job. Then you need wire cutters to cut a hole in the mesh.
It all seems so irrational, building a trap for people, to keep the deer out.
Hoist on your own petard, while digging your own grave.
It all seems so irrational, building a trap for people, to keep the deer out.
Hoist on your own petard, while digging your own grave.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,943
- 1,575
I would consider the things mentioned above, but in all likelihood people will be looking for neighbors/survivors. With the ventilation opening(s) several of these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...ment > Personal Defense&utm_source=Google_LIA
-
would be very effective.
-
would be very effective.
Admin
- 69,783
- 25,632
Good point, ASN.Averagesupernova said:I would consider the things mentioned above, but in all likelihood people will be looking for neighbors/survivors. With the ventilation opening(s) several of these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200798236_200798236?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4qK7iviU7QIVxp6zCh2aYwCpEAUYASABEgJTIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_campaign=Wolo&utm_content=16463&utm_medium=Security Equipment > Personal Defense&utm_source=Google_LIA
-
would be very effective.
@dlgoff -- do you have a HAM radio in your shelter and a feed to an external antenna? That seems like it would be a good addition. Or at least an AM/FM/Weather radio with an external antenna.
Mentor
- 2,469
- 3,629
Another suggestion is to have one of these jacks in the shelter:
Along with some 4X4's and a saw to cut them to length. The jack is available from Northern Tool and many hardware stores. I have one of these jacks. It is solid and well built. If I had an underground storm shelter, I would assume that I would have to deal with a tree, vehicle, or portion of a house on top of it after the storm.
I hope the OP took into account worst case flood levels...
Along with some 4X4's and a saw to cut them to length. The jack is available from Northern Tool and many hardware stores. I have one of these jacks. It is solid and well built. If I had an underground storm shelter, I would assume that I would have to deal with a tree, vehicle, or portion of a house on top of it after the storm.
I hope the OP took into account worst case flood levels...
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,943
- 1,575
I would keep materials in the shelter to push a small vertical antenna up through a vent to be able to communicate on 2 meters.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Not a HAM radio but a CB with an external antenna. I also have a weather radio (with an external antenna) and an FM radio (no external antenna needed; works fine with its' inside antenna.-- do you have a HAM radio in your shelter and a feed to an external antenna? That seems like it would be a good addition. Or at least an AM/FM/Weather radio with an external antenna.
Last edited:
- 11,327
- 8,758
People in tornado prone areas have been digging storm shelters since first settlements. Although it sound like @dlgoff made his thoroughly modern, the basic issues of shelter, comfort, flooding, and egress are likely the same today as a century ago.
I would guess that to shelter from a tornado, the average time inside the shelter would be only 10 minutes. And if the storm is flinging caravans around like fallen leaves, it would be immensely safer in the shelter than outside.
The most rudimentary form of tornado shelter is just an open pit, or a ditch.
I would guess that to shelter from a tornado, the average time inside the shelter would be only 10 minutes. And if the storm is flinging caravans around like fallen leaves, it would be immensely safer in the shelter than outside.
The most rudimentary form of tornado shelter is just an open pit, or a ditch.
bob012345
Gold Member
- 2,427
- 1,113
How about a photo of the inside? Thanks.
Similar threads
- dlgoff
- · Replies 11 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 11
- ThatiswhyIask
- · Replies 4 ·
- Mechanics
- Replies
- 4
- rimmer2300
- · Replies 5 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 5
: