Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Building Faraday Flashlight Help

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to build a faraday flashlight and I have two problems.

2. Relevant equations
    (1) When I use a 12V DC motor connected in parallel to a capacitor (16V 2200uf) and then to an LED assembly, I can't get the capacitor to charge. (2) If I wanted to use a magnet and coils connected to a wave bridge rectifier and then to a capacitor and LED, how would I calculate the amount of Voltage produces by moving the magnet?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already built a flashlight with the DC motor, it is able to turn on the LED but the capacitor just does not charge. I've put in a switch between the capacitor and LED and all I can get it to do is light up when I'm turning the motor and the switch is on; when the switch is off I turn the motor but when I flip the switch on the LED doesn't light up. Could the problem be that my capacitor is too large?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a schematic of your circuit?

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    circuit.jpg

5. May 24, 2009 #4
    I think you can see this http://www.lightflashlights.com/ [Broken]. It's very well. And I think that it's very useful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook