1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building Faraday Flashlight Help

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to build a faraday flashlight and I have two problems.

2. Relevant equations
    (1) When I use a 12V DC motor connected in parallel to a capacitor (16V 2200uf) and then to an LED assembly, I can't get the capacitor to charge. (2) If I wanted to use a magnet and coils connected to a wave bridge rectifier and then to a capacitor and LED, how would I calculate the amount of Voltage produces by moving the magnet?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already built a flashlight with the DC motor, it is able to turn on the LED but the capacitor just does not charge. I've put in a switch between the capacitor and LED and all I can get it to do is light up when I'm turning the motor and the switch is on; when the switch is off I turn the motor but when I flip the switch on the LED doesn't light up. Could the problem be that my capacitor is too large?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a schematic of your circuit?

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    [​IMG]

5. May 24, 2009 #4
    I think you can see this led flashlight. It's very well. And I think that it's very useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?