Bullet fired from a moving train.

In summary: The wording of the question is ambiguous and can be interpreted in different ways. However, assuming that the bullet's velocity of 200 km/h is its muzzle velocity, the speed of the bullet with respect to the shooter or the train is 400 km/h.
Pinkk

Homework Statement

A person is standing on a train that is moving 200 km/h to the right. The person fires a bullet that travels 200 km/h opposite the direction of the train's movement. How fast is the bullet moving according to the shooter's perspective (assuming there is no gravity, resistive forces, etc).

Homework Equations

Velocity of the bullet relative to the Earth = Velocity of the bullet relative to the train + velocity of the train relative to the earth

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the Velocity of the bullet relative to the Earth is -200 km/h and the velocity of the train relative to the Earth is 200 km/h, the Velocity of the bullet relative to the train is -200 km/h - 200 km/h = -400 km/h. Is this answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. The speed of the bullet with respect to the shooter/train is 400 km/h.

That's what I thought, but I keep getting conflicting answers from different people because the question is somewhat ambiguous. I guess this is not a totally related physics question, but if a gun fires a bullet with muzzle velocity X, that's the speed of the bullet relative to the earth, correct? People say it'll be the velocity of the bullet relative to the train, making the velocity of the bullet relative to the Earth 0, so if you fire a bullet from the back of train at the same speed of the train, the bullet would just drop straight down to the ground.

Yes, there is some ambiguity.

The question says the bullet has a velocity of 200km/h but it does not specify if that is relative to the gun or the ground.

My assumption would be the former. Thus, my answer is -200km/h relative to the shooter.

Pinkk said:
That's what I thought, but I keep getting conflicting answers from different people because the question is somewhat ambiguous.
The question is oddly worded. Did you present it exactly it was given to you? When I first saw "The person fires a bullet that travels 200 km/h" I immediately assumed they meant muzzle velocity, but since they ask for the muzzle velocity I thought that it must be the speed of the bullet with respect to the ground. To avoid ambiguity, when they mention a speed they must specify with respect to what. (Sloppy question!)
I guess this is not a totally related physics question, but if a gun fires a bullet with muzzle velocity X, that's the speed of the bullet relative to the earth, correct?
No, the muzzle velocity is the speed of the bullet with respect to the gun.
People say it'll be the velocity of the bullet relative to the train, making the velocity of the bullet relative to the Earth 0, so if you fire a bullet from the back of train at the same speed of the train, the bullet would just drop straight down to the ground.
That's correct. If the muzzle speed was -200 km/h and the train speed was +200 km/h, then the speed of the bullet with respect to the ground would be zero.

It wasn't technically a homework question, it was a question posed on another forum. So I'm guessing they meant the muzzle velocity, in which case I guess I'm wrong. Thanks though!

Pinkk said:
The person fires a bullet that travels 200 km/h opposite the direction of the train's movement.
If that means muzzle velocity, then the question seems rather silly:
How fast is the bullet moving according to the shooter's perspective (assuming there is no gravity, resistive forces, etc).
It's like saying: If the speed of the bullet is X with respect to you, how fast is the bullet moving with respect to you. :rolleyes:

But I agree: Ambiguous wording!

Doc Al said:
If that means muzzle velocity, then the question seems rather silly:

It's like saying: If the speed of the bullet is X with respect to you, how fast is the bullet moving with respect to you. :rolleyes:

But I agree: Ambiguous wording!

This has been my thinking as well.

Doc Al said:
Correct. The speed of the bullet with respect to the shooter/train is 400 km/h.

I agree.

What is the relationship between the speed of a bullet fired from a moving train and the train's speed?

The speed of a bullet fired from a moving train is equal to the sum of the train's speed and the speed of the bullet relative to the train. This is because the bullet inherits the train's velocity and adds its own velocity as it is fired.

How does the angle of the gun affect the trajectory of a bullet fired from a moving train?

The angle of the gun does not affect the trajectory of the bullet fired from a moving train. The bullet will continue to travel in a straight line, following the laws of physics, regardless of the angle of the gun.

Can a bullet fired from a moving train hit a target that is stationary?

Yes, a bullet fired from a moving train can hit a stationary target. As long as the bullet's velocity and trajectory are properly adjusted, it can reach a stationary target just as it would if it were fired from a stationary position.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a bullet fired from a moving train?

The main factors that can affect the accuracy of a bullet fired from a moving train are the speed of the train, the speed of the bullet, and external factors such as wind resistance and gravity. These factors can cause the bullet to deviate from its intended trajectory and hit the target inaccurately.

How does the speed of a train affect the speed and impact of a bullet fired from it?

The speed of the train can affect the speed and impact of the bullet fired from it. A faster train will result in a faster bullet, which can increase its impact and damage. However, the speed of the train does not affect the bullet's accuracy, as long as the bullet is properly aimed and adjusted for the train's speed.