1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet in Block- 2D Projectiles w/ Motion

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A(n) 9 g bullet is fired into a 396 g block
    that is initially at rest at the edge of a frictionless table of height 0.9 m. The bullet remains
    in the block, and after impact the block lands
    2.3 m from the bottom of the table.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s.

2. Relevant equations

ΔX = Vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2)

m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I separated the equation into vertical and horizontal parts.

Horizontal: ΔX=2.3, a = 0 m/s/s
    Vertical: ΔY= .9, a= -9.8 m/s/s, Vi = 0 m/s (because it is launched horizontally).

Using the kinematic equation ΔX = Vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2) to solve for the vertical time:
    t = 0.4285714286 seconds

Since the vertical time is equal to the horizontal time, I plugged this time into the same kinematic equation to solve for the horizontal Vi:
    Vi = 5.366666667 m/s

Now, I know you need to use the collision equation to solve for the initial velocity in the bullet, but I do not know how to set it up...
    I have this so far

9(5.366666667-vi)=-____?_____

Thank you for the help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2
    m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi) That is not the collision equation I am familiar with. With just a single m, it suggests a collision involving a single object, an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. Try m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f
    You should then be able to quickly simplify one side by equating one velocity with another, and it will all fall out from there.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    What would m2, v2i, and v2f be?

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4
    m2 would be mass of the block, v2i is the initial velocity of the block, and v2f is the final velocity of the block

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5
    I got it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook